BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2001-10 > 1003078010

From: "Christine Johns" <> (by way of Joe Bosserman <>)
Subject: [BRE] Neffs in Washington Co, PA
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 10:46:50

Thanks for your response Cathy. I can never decide if I should send replys
to the list or privately. This one I sent to the you. If you think the
list would be interested you may share it.

Benjamin Bowman, Sr. who was s/o John Bowman and Esther ? was born in 1785.
He was my 4ggf. He was probably born in Frederick Co, MD and moved into
Bedford Co, PA when very young. Several bios I have seen state he was born
in Blair Co, PA(History of Wayne Co, IN) but that is impossible since Blair
was not a county until after the mid 1840s. The family moved west through
Washington Co, PA apparently because that is where some reports say he m.
Elizabeth Shideler, d/o George Adam Shideler. There were two George Adam
Shidelers , Sr. and Jr. I have seen two different peoples' work that differ
on which one was Elizabeth's father. From Washington Co, the Bowman family,
and some of the Shidelers moved to Montgomery Co, OH, following other German
Baptists. Benjamin, Jr. was born in Montgomery Co, OH. The History of the
COB in IN pub. in 1917 talks about Benjamin Bowman but gets the facts mixed
up. It states place of birth as Montgomery Co, OHwhere Benjamin Jr was
born) and that he moved to the Nettle Creek Church and then to the
Mississinewa cong. before he died in 1856. Sr. had m. a second time to the
widow of George W. Studebaker another active COB member.

Back to the Shidelers: according what I have been able to collect, George
Adam Shideler, Sr , s/o John Shideler and Margaret Neff, was m. to Mary
Buchias. Along with Elizabeth, assuming she was a daughter not gd, they had
a son Daniel, who might have been the f/o Elias. Elias was m. to
Mary(Polly) Ann Shock in Wayne Co, IN in 1839. In 1848 they had a daughter
Levina who m. Levi Hoover, s/o John S. Hoover, s/o David Hoover possibly the
s/o of Christian Hoover and Anna Houser who died intestate in Huntingdon Co,
PA. Levi was my 2ggf.

So I am connected to the Neffs through the Shidelers and to the Shidelers
through the Bowmans and Hoovers. If I am tracking it correctly, Elizabeth
Shideler and Levina would have been in the same line through George Adam Sr.
If the Jr. was Eliz's father, then not as closely. cbj

> Hi Diana and Christine,
>
> Margaret Neff Shideler was one of my 6th great aunts. Her parents, Jacob
> and Catherine Neff were my 6th great grandparents. Are you descended
> from Margaret Neff and John Schideler? If you are, I am confused,
> because Jacob and Catherine and their descendants are Neff "D" line, the
> same line as John Murray. Margaret was married a few years before her
> sister, Esther, my 5th great grandmother, who was married in Monocacy,
> Frederick Co., MD. Their parents had moved their family to a Brethren
> community there a few years before. Our line from Esther moved to
> Washington Co., PA. and I thought Margaret Neff Schedeler's family moved
> there, too. Esther named her daughter, my 4th great grandmother, after
> Margaret. From Washington Co., PA, Esther's daughter, Margaret, followed
> her children to Wayne Co., OH after Margaret's husband died.
>
> Christine, our line in Wayne Co., married into the Hoover line. Also my
> great grandfather's brother married a Hoover. They lived in the
> Medina/Lorain Counties area of Ohio, but I think her Hoover family was
> from Ashland, a little south of those counties.
>
> Cathy Martin

This thread: