BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2001-01 > 0980598328

From: "dwayne wrightsman" <>
Subject: Re: 1850's Illinois
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 07:25:28 -0500

Churches prior to 1850, I would take exception with his including Macoupin
County because its West Otter Creek Church and its Pleasant Hill Church were
not established until after 1850. In the case of Pleasant Hill, the church
was built in the mid-1860s. My gggrandfather Jacob Brubaker was the
architect of the Pleasant Hill Church, and he didn't move from Clarke
County, OH, to Macoupin County, IL, until 1863.

One county that Merle left out was Sangamon County (just north of Macoupin).
The Sugar Creek Church (in Auburn Township) was established on or before
1830 by John Dick, Joseph Rolland/Rowland, and Isham Gibson. Isham Gibson
was my gggrandfather, who first settled in Morgan County (adjacent to both
Sangamon and Macoupin) after buying land there in 1829. Isham was the first
Elder of the Sugar Creek Church, and then, later, after Pleasant Hill Church
was built, he became the first Elder of that church as well.

Dwayne Wrightsman