BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2001-01 > 0980433023

From: "Ralph Tewksbury" <>
Subject: Re: Berkey Brethren in Michigan
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:30:23 -0500

Ferne;

Peter Berkey b: 1822 was the son of Isaac Berkey (David & Barb.
Kaufman>Jacob & Eliz. Blaugh) and Gertrude Blough. The family left
Conemaugh, Somerset Co., PA and went to Vaughn, Ontario Canada about 1830.
In early 1840 they removed to Jackson, Elkhart Co., Indiana. Peter met
Joanna Garver who lived in nearby Harrison Twp. They married in Elkhart Co.
in 1844. They moved to East Paris (Kentwood) MI about 1850-55.

At the time of their disappearance they had a daughter, Mary age 33, who was
un-married school teacher. I suspect that she may have been offered a job
out of state, or Canada, and Peter and Joanna, & young sons Adelbert &
Frank, all moved to wherever Mary went. There were two daughters, Sarah and
Matilda, who died young and are buried near my mother (Peter & Joanna's
granddaughter) in Pinewood Cem., in the Kentwood, MI area. My grandfather,
Leonard Berkey b: 1858, stayed in MI.
I am very interested in where Peter & Joanna went and are buried, death
dates etc...

Thank You;
Ralph

This thread: