BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 1999-06 > 0928917522

From: Norma < >
Subject: Peppinger in Ohio, Royer in Ill.
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 04:38:42 -0400 (EDT)

This name is not in my line, but I thought someone might be looking for her.
The following entry was in my gg grandfather's ledger books, 1843, 1845
(Jacob Weybright). Has anyone compiled a list of children
fostered/adopted/appenticed in Brethren families? This entry sounds like
she lived with them for 2 years, probably as household help, before becoming
of age.
---------------

November 26th 1843 This day Mary Peppenger Came to live with us By orders of
her father Jacob Peppenger as he has tolde me him Selfe and We ar to kepe
her in closing and Bording and give her what we think is Rite in clothing
and Badding and such like.

November 7th 1845 Money laid out and paid for Mary Peppinger wene She
arrived at age this is to be given her for the Time she live with us.
1 to 12 yards Bed ticking 12 1/2 1.50
6 yards gack at 15 cents pr yard .70
7 yards Linen for gafe
- -------------------------------

Another sad item in the Gospel Messenger May 6, 1884

A woman in poor health, Josie E. Royer of Shannon IL, wrote that she needed
to find homes for her children, and had a little boy six years old for whom
she wanted to find a home among the Brethren so he would grow up in the
nurture and admonition of the Lord.

My gg grandfather, Jacob George b. 9-3-1801 Reading Twp, PA was apprenticed
at a very young age to an inn keeper Miller family, who also had a son named
Jacob, but that's all I know about the family. He did not become Brethren
until later in life, so I don't know if this Miller was a Brethren family.

The informal fostering of children probably worked well for some, not so for
others, and I see non-family children turn up in census records. Just
thought there may be someone who is looking.

Norma Corbett Bruce

This thread: