BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 1999-03 > 0921507640

From: Russell Morris <>
Subject: Re: BRETHREN-D Digest V99 #121
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 09:20:40 -0500

Yes, Jacob Zern was a Dunker--or that's how my grandfather referred to him. I kno
he moved from Ohio to Henry County IN where he met and married Catherine Clapper.
Then both Jack Clapper and the Zern family moved to York County NE, then on to
Holyoke/Amherst, CO. I've often wondered about the migration pattern. Is it
indicative of Brethren migration westward?

Thanks for your help.

Russell Morris
Brookfield, CT

> Subject: Re: Zern query
> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 19:23:37 -0500
> From: Merle Rummel <>
>
> >Jacob Zern b. 12/5/1837 Hamilton County, OH
>
> Was Jacob Zern Dunker? - or did he join the church later? Jack Clapper has
> idenitified the Clapper family with the Dunkers - but I don't recognized
> the name Zern (it does sound German/Dutch/Swiss!)
>
> In Hamilton Co OH, of that time, the only Dunker/Brethren group that I know
> of was on Mill Creek - now I-71, just east of modern down town Cincinnati,
> and I know only a couple of the families (Kessler, Custer). By 1837, it
> had already left the Brethren and gone Universalist. I have record that
> there was an old Universalist Church in that area, but I have not found a
> modern successor.
>
> Merle Rummel
> Church Historian

This thread: