BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 1999-03 > 0920841669

From: <>
Subject: GEIGER Church of the Brethren, Somerset, PA
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 16:21:09 EST

As listowner of the GEIGER mailing list I received information from one of the
researchers working on her GEIGER family in Somerset County, PA, who came
across information about the GEIGER Church of the Brethren in Somerset County.
Her GEIGER ancestors were Reformed and not Brethren to our knowledge. It
would appear that the village in which the church is located is named
GEIGER--does anyone know anything about this village and who it may be named
for?

I have the following:

The GEIGER Church of the Brethren is located 2&1/2 miles north of Somerset,
left off Route 281, in the village of GEIGER. The first church building was
erected in 1885 and was dedicated by James Quinter, January 31, 1886. It was
known as the Summit Church and was jointely owned by the Middlecreek and
Brothersvalley Congregations. The first Sunday School was organized on March
27, 1887, with C.M. Shaver as Superintendent.

The first church was replaced by the present brick structure in 1914. J.H.
Cassidy preached the dedicatory sermon on August 23, 1914. The Ladies Aid was
organized in 1918 with 27 charter members. The Geiger Church became a
separate congregation on April 10, 1922, with a charter membership of about
60. L.S. Knepper was the first paid pastor between 1922 and 1942.

I would appreciate any information in identifying the GEIGERs for whom this
village and church were named.

Thanks!

Joan

This thread: