BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 1999-01 > 0915849795

From: Merle Rummel <>
Subject: Re: Brethren in Rowan County NC, 1700s
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 21:43:15 -0500

>I'm interested in the community around Crane
>Creek in Rowan County NC in the late 1700s, usually described as a Dunker
>settlement. My direct ancestors associated with this community include
>"Elder James" HENDRICKS and Gaspar ROLAND.
>
>Elizabeth Harris
>
>state coordinator for NCGenWeb: http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncgenweb/

All right -I'll make you a trade!

I'm descended from Conrad Kerns, another minister of the church at Crane
Creek. I've some information on him and his descendents -but I sure would
like to know more - he owned some 800 acres between Salisbury and the ford
on the Yadkin. I imagine it is now ALL CITY! -but what did it look like
Then?

Several of the Kerns children (Abraham, Gabriel -my line -to Clermont Co
OH, Simeon) came to the Hinkston Creek Church in Kentucky, near Mt
Sterling, Montgomery Co --as did your James Hendricks family.

Other known families at Hinkston Creek were: Christopher COLEGLAZIER,
William -John GARBER (to my church at Clermont Co OH), William -James
GRIMES, Peter HON (leader in the dispute of 1820s), Christian -Jonas HON,
William -John -Aaron HART (Harts are from Wilkes Co -PA before that), Jacob
HOOVER, Jacob -John KEITHLEY, James -John -William LACY, Martin LANTZ,
Joseph -Peter -Isaac MOLER (Mohler), Elder Daniel OCKERMAN, Rober -William
-Samuel -Robin RAMSEY, Martin REBELLIN, Joseph -James -William -Samuel
-Thomas -Patrick ROGERS, John SEARS, George SHAVER, Gasper -Peter SHROUTE,
Peter -Joseph -Christian -Henry -Mark SHULTZ, Jacob -John SIX, George
WEAVER, Jacob -Emanuel WELTY, John -Jonathan WEST, Francis -Richard WYATT,
Daniel -Michael ZIMMERMAN.

Out West -Drakes Creek Church, Green River, Warren Co KY
Elder John Hendricks and Thomas Hendricks
(do you have any information about Thomas Hendricks?)

In Montgomery Co KY - I have the following on Tax Lists:
1797 -Jacob Hendricks, Absolom Hendricks, Noah Hendricks, Enoch Hendricks,
George Hendricks, William Hendricks (on Hingston Creek)
1799 -Abraham Hendrix, Moses Hendrix, Jacob Hendrix, James Hendrix, George
Hendrix, Enoch Hendrix, Abrahm Hendrix, William Hendrix, John Hendrix
1800 -Abraham Hederick, Jacob Hederick, John Hendrix, Joseph Hendrix, James
Hendrix
1801 -John Hendrix, Joseph Hendrix, Jacob Hendrick, Abrahm Hendrix, Enoch
Hendrix, Geoge Hendrix
1802 -Jacob Hedricks, George Hedricks, Noah Hendricks, Jacob Hendricks,
Abraham Hendricks, John Hendricks, Joseph Hendricks, Enoch Hendricks,
George Hendricks
1803 -Moses Hendrix, Abraham Hendrix, Philip Hendrix, Joseph Hendrix, Noah
Hendrix, Abraham Hedrick, George Hendricks
1804 -Abraham Hendrick, Moses Hendrick, Jacob Hendrick, George Hendrick,
Noah Hendrick, Philip Hendrick, Joseph Hendrick
1805 -Abraham Hendrick, Abraham Hendrix, Moses Hendrix, Noah Hendricks,
Jacob Hendrix, Philip Hendrix, Joseph Hendrix
1806 -Jacob Hedrick, Philip Hendrix, George Hendrix, John Hendrix, Moses
Hendrix, Abraham Hendrix, Abraham Hendrix Jr, Noah Hendrix, Joseph Hendrix
1807 -John Hendrix, Abraham Hendrix Sr, Abraham Hendrix Jr, Jacob Hendrix,
Moses Hendrix

In the 1810 US Census: (I found none in the 1790 or 1800 Census)
Fleming Co KY --the name was Hedrick
Abraham Hedrick, Jacob Hedrick Sr/Jr, Joseph hedirck, Nicholas Hedrick,
Philip Hedrick
Warren Co KY -- the name was Hendricks
John Hendricks, James Hendricks, Joseph Hendricks, Henry Hendricks,
Thomas Hendricks
Nelson Co KY --
Samuel Hendricks
Clermont Co OH --Tax List -1810 (and I haven't looked east farther)
John Hedrich
Henry Hendrix

1820 US Census Indiana (when it finally opened UP!)
Clark Co: Thomas Hendricks (probably son of above)
Jefferson Co: Thomas Hendricks, John Hendricks
Wayne Co: (where I live --I'll have to look! -probably Hagerstown)
John Hendrix, George Hendrix, Henry Hendrix, Isaac Hendrix, William
Hendrix
(telephone says: Hagerstown, Cambridge City, Richmond!)
1830 US Census Indiana:
Morgan Co: Thomas Hendricks (third generation -
Lawrence Co: Ezekiel Hendrix, Henry Hendrix

Weddings: Montgomery Co KY
Jacob Hendrix m. 20 May 1797 Caty thompson
Moses Hendrix m. 22 Dec 1801 Franky Honey
Catherine Hendrix m. 28 Dec 1797 Georgfe Routt
Dorcas Hendrix m. 3 Dec 1795 John Boyd
-------------------
The Hendricks family is central in the denominational dispute of the 1790s.
Elder John Hendricks was actually put out of the church by Annual Meeting.
He probably didn't even know about it. He moved to western Kentucky, and
was instrumental in the spread of the church there.

The dispute was over Universalism. The Brethren/Dunkers at that time
believed in the Pietistic concept of "Restorationism" -or -that everyone
will go to Heaven, just that there is a type of "Purgatory" where all the
sins have to be burned out first! From our only records: "John H..."
(almost certainly John Hendricks, although a couple early historians
propose one John Ham) preached that there was no Hell, that Everyone would
go to Heaven. In 1798, Annual Meeting banned "John H..." and all who
accepted his doctrine. We had quite a few churches on the Yadkin and Broad
Rivers, and down into South Carolina --the only one that still is Brethren
is the Fraternity Church (near Winston Salem), the rest ALL left.

John Hendricks carried this message with him to western Kentucky, and we
lost the Drakes Creek Church there, to the Universalists -in another
dispute, about 1820. His influence and children went into Illinois and
Missouri, and some of those churches went Universalist. Indiana and Ohio
had strong Universalist tendencies from others of the Carolina settlers.

I assume you've read Roger Sappington's "The Brethren in the Carolinas" 1971
--in it he says that your James Hendricks was a minister at Cranes Creek,
that he had land there in 1775, and in 1790 moved to Dutchman's Creek
(forks of the Yadkin. He came down from the Little Conewago Church, NW of
Reading PA.
Dutchmans Creek Congregation is the location of both John and James
Hendricks.

Gaspar Rowland was also there, 1778, Weavers Creek. He was ordained in
1775 by David Martin. Elder Joseph Rowland was in the Hinkston Creek
Church, he lived in Bourbon Co. Rowland girls seem to be married into most
of the main Kentucky families -going even to Missouri before 1800.

I don't have the Brethren Encyclopedia, but both these families are written
up in it. Dr David Eller has quite a bit of information on both these
families in his dissertation: "The Brethren in the Western Ohio Valley,
1790-1850" Miami University, 1976, Oxford OH

[David Martin lived on the Broad River in So Carolina. He was a son of
Elder Georga Adam Martin, an Ephrata Sabbatarian. David Martin somehow was
NOT brought up before Annual Meeting -He was probably the leader of the
Universalist movement in the Carolinas, even more Universalist than John
Hendricks (but then, he was farther away, and too, he had a BIG Brethren
Name!)]

You've probably traced your Hendricks family back -its Quaker. (I'm having
to go by memory) A John Hendricks was the first settler across the
Susquehanna River in Lancaster Co PA, received quite a bit of land. He had
two sons: John and James -James was accidentally shot by his own father.
John's children came down to the Carolinas.

There was considerable migration from Pennsylvania and Maryland down to the
Yadkin -I just read your writing on the Great Wagon Road -I've followed
most of it -the length of the Valley of Virginia, down into Eastern
Tennessee -and from Roanoke, through the mountains, and down on the face of
them. In Franklin Co VA they called it: The Carolina Road. It closely
parallels US 220 to Greensboro. (I pastored at Wilkesboro NC. -didn't know
then about ancestry at Salisbury.)

I'd appreciate any information you would be able to give me, about your
families there in the Carolinas. -and if you've followed them on west. (I'm
mostly concerned about this west -the upper Ohio Valley, but the Carolinas
are almost a necessary part of what we have out here -especially since my
own family comes from there!)

You might want to take a look at a Quaker WayBill we found here at Richmond
IN -its from about 1809 -and the route was used before that -from
Greensboro NC to Richmond IN --thro West Virginia. It opened up about 1795
with the Treaty of Greenville (OH), because it used the Shawnee WarPath up
the Kanawha/New River. It was used first to the Ohio River, then later
clear across the State of Ohio. For the Ohio Valley settlers -it probably
was the main migration route, it would be too far to go down to the
Wilderness Road (and I've lived there, too).
<www.infinet.com/~dzimmerm/Migrate/merle.htm>

Maybe this is enough for now -I do have to quit this and get busy preparing
the lesson for my college class.

Merle C Rummel
Church Historian

This thread: