BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 1998-09 > 0906734659

From: Merle Rummel <>
Subject: Re: migration routes
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 10:44:19 -0400

>What would have been the logical route to take from Sussex County, New
>Jersey to Perry County, Ohio in 1812? Anyone? Thanks.

Thats right on the Zane Trace --Fort Henry is now Wheeling WVa, and the
Trace went from there to Zanesville OH, and headed south along US22. There
were some who used it -especially since we had the Jonathan Creek Church
there (Licking Co). [We have a church just outside Zanesville, too, at
White Cottage on the old Trace. Perry Co is next west (--I taught school
in Perry Co, when I pastored White Cottage)].

To go from NJ to Wheeling in 1812, would likely take the Forbes Road (now
US30) to Pittsburg and down the Ohio River. I misplaced my National Road
information, but I think it was 1817 when the Cumberland Road section was
completed to Wheeling.

The Brethren did go to Frederick MD and west to Hagarstown to Cumberland MD
and follow Braddocks Road to Old Fort Redstone (now Brownsville PA) some to
go down the River, others went on to Washington Co PA. There were many who
came west from Washington Co.

Merle C Rummel
Church Historian

This thread: