BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 1997-07 > 0870267065

From: The Bell Family< >
Subject: Family names Griffith,Masters, Bowman
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 07:51:05 -0500

I am just beginning my research, but have found a lot of information from
other cousins on the net. My mother told me my grandmother, Ida Mae Deyton
Wilson's mother Jane Amanda Griffith was of the Brethren faith. The only
information I have showing a family member is Henry Masters, Sr. indicating
he was a German Baptist Brethren(Tunker, Dunker, Dunkard) clergyman. I
have several questions.

The first question is regarding the dress. I have a picture of my great
grandmother Jane Amanda Griffith with a Dunkard hat on. Could anyone give
me the history of this and the significance of it. Was there any other
dress code?

The second question I have is looking for further information on the family
line. Names I have are Henry Masters, Sr. wife Catherine?, William
Griffith, Sr. wife Sarah MacCubbin, George William Byrd wife Annie Hutson,
Jacob Bowman, Sr. wife Katherine? I would appreciate further information
on any of these families.

My last question deals with my father's side of the family which I have run
into road blocks. I am learning that names can be spelled differently
coming from Germany/Europe. I am looking for information or different
spellings of the names Firestein, Helfrich and Beitling. I am not sure if
all of these are German or German Brethren.

I sincerely appreciate any information I should receive.

I am also enjoying the Brethren site. I decided I wanted to learn more
about the Brethren religion since my lineage on my mother's side was of
this faith.

Mary Ellen Frost Bell

This thread: