BOSTON-L Archives

Archiver > BOSTON > 2008-05 > 1212064844

From: Barbara Smith <>
Subject: [BOSTON] Boston 1880's Jones lost at sea
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 05:40:44 -0700 (PDT)

My ggf William Jones was according to my grandmother "lost at sea". He was a fisherman on her birth record 1879, but on her sister's 1881 listed as a baker. Quite possibly he did both. His death would have occurred somewhere between1881-1890. My grandmother told my mom that she was 3 when he died and 5 when her mother MaryAnn (Sullivan) Jones died. From Nov 1883 - 1890 I haven't been able to find any records of my ggrandparents deaths in Boston or Massachusetts in the Mass Archives. In. October 1890 my grandmother's cousin became her legal guardian and the document listed her parents as both deceased, but no other information. My grandmother used to visit her mom's grave at Holy Cross Cemetary in Malden, but neither my mom or her siblings knew where it was. If my ggf was lost at sea, where/how would a death record been listed? I have to assume at this point my ggm didn't die in MA as can't find any record. My grandmother's sister's record exists and she died in Nov. 1883 in
Boston, but then the trail goes cold.

wrote:

Today's Topics:

1. Naturalization (Flavia Hodges)