BOSTON-L Archives

Archiver > BOSTON > 2008-05 > 1210766525

From: "Betty" <>
Subject: [BOSTON] Original "Chardon Street" in Boston
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 08:02:05 -0400

Hello,

I've mentioned before that my grandmother, twice-orphaned, seems to have
been living either on Tremont St. or Chardon St. from about 1899 until about
1908. She would have been 10 to 19 when living there.

I was wondering if anyone has seen a picture of the original Chardon Street
in any book. Or, has seen a map of the original Chardon St. in any book.

I just noticed on this site that, while my grandmother was there, there were
trolley tracks on Chardon St.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Chardon_Street_(Boston)

My grandmother was at "The Temporary Home for Women and Children" from about
1904 to about 1908, and she said it was often referred to as "the Chardon
Street Home." (It also had other names.)

I think I have written to that Home twice over the years, and they have not
responded. I wish someone had written a book about the history of that
home. It has a long history.

I borrowed the book, "Gaining Ground" from the library, but have only had a
chance to browse through it. So, I don't know if Chardon St. is found on
one of the many maps.

I also borrowed the picture book about "Scollay Square," but haven't had a
chance to study those picture, either.

Thank you for your time.

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

P.S. I am aware that is now New Chardon Street, and I believe it is now a
one-way street beside the Government Center.

This thread: