BORDER-L Archives

Archiver > BORDER > 1998-06 > 0897939178

From: "Trish Pattison" <>
Subject: Re: GLENDINNING
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 20:32:58 +0100

Susan

I have Elliot's in my family tree. John Elliot b. June 4 1858 married a
Turnbull. He was a farmer from Hindhope in the hills near Jedburgh. Any
connections?

Taken from British Hunts and Huntsmen.
"The name of Elliot is probably the most notable among Cheviot sheep
breeders as it is certainly the oldest. The Elliots of Hindhope have for
generations achieved fame by their sheep and the present head of the family
Mr John Elliot has worthily maintained the family traditions. In the old
records of the Highland Society the name of Elliot has worthily maintained
the family tradition. In the old records of the Highland Society the name
of Elliot is the only one of present day exhibitors represented in the first
catalogue.
The subject of these notes is the eldest son of the late Mr Thomas Elliot.
He was born on June 4th 1858, educated a Jedburgh Academy and New College
Edinburgh and subsequently joined his father in farming. Since then he has
hunted regularly. Mr Elliot has five farms under three Dukes of
Northumberland and Roxburgh and devotes his energies entirely to Cheviots.
In this class he has like his father, won all the championships, and has got
both the King's Medals of the Highland Society.
His father took a leading part in coursing and it will be remembered won the
Scottish National with his greyhound Meg Merrilees whilst his mother's
sister Miss Turnbull of Ridleys, brought up King Death the Waterloo Cup
winner. Mr Elliot himself is well known for his breed of collies. His
father supplied Noble to the late Queen Victoria and it was from our subject
that the McLeod got Hindhope Jed, now the champion of New Zealand and
Australia. In former days Mr Elliot served for fifteen years in the Border
Horse."

Trish Pattison