BIBLE-FAMILY-L Archives

Archiver > BIBLE-FAMILY > 1997-07 > 0868833431

From: "Jean Masoner" <>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Hezekiah Balch
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 97 15:37:11 PDT

I am Jean Masoner and I subscribe to the TNGREENE-L list which is a list
for anyone researching in Greene Co. I would like your permission to
forward this message to the TNGREENE-L list. Thanks in advance.

Jean Masoner

CoEditor THE NEW MASONER MONITOR

----------

> ---------------------

Hezekiah
> Balch (the great-grandfather of Zena Mariah Cash, wife of Thomas L.
Bible).
> Thanks to Cindy Lucas, curator of President Andrew Johnson Museum in
> Greeneville for taking the time and effort (and the $1.01 postage I need
> send her) to send me the information.
> Greenville College was founded by Hezekiah Balch as was the first
church
> to be founded in Greenville @ Big Spring, the Mt. Bethel Presbyterian
Church.
> It grew to become the largest Presbyterian Church in the old Southwest,
> boasting 1,000 members at one point "while the town was a mere village and
> the population of the country small."
> It seems Rev. Balch created a stir among the denomination when he
was
> among the leaders introducing Dr. Watts Psalms and Hymns instead of the
> traditional Rouse's Inspired Psalms. It also seems Rev. Balch, a
Princeton
> grad, also had some theological differences with the church that
eventually
> resulted in the splitting of the Mt. Bethel church. And it almost got
Rev.
> Balch thrown out of the Presbyterian denomination. One particular
opponent,
> Samuel Doak, also a Princeton grad, is credited for founding Tusculum
> College, with which Greeneville College later merged (in 1868). (My
> grandfather recorded that Rev. Balch was a college president there, as
well).
> "The enmity and bitterness (between the two) is illustrated by a
story of
> how Balch and Doak met one day on a muddy street crossing in Greeneville.
> They met on a plank over a particularly muddy spot. Doak was the first
> speak. 'I never make way for the devil.' To which Balch replied, ''I do,'
> and stepped aside in the mud to let Doak pass."
> Rev Balch came to Greeneville in 1782 from North Carolina and within
in
> a year was said to be "deeply and passionately" involved in the "Lost
State
> of Franklin" statehood effort, which, of course, failed.
> The tombstone of Rev. Balch can be found in the Old Harmony
Graveyard,
> behind the Greeneville Town Hall. Greeneville College, which existed from
> 1795 to 1868, was actually located on the large farm of Rev. Balch three
> miles south of Greeneville. The tuition began at $3 per term, plus a $2
> library fee. And it was all males.
> Tusculum College has the distinction of being the oldest college
west of
> the Allegheny Mountains, and the oldest coeducational college affiliated
with
> the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).
> Boyd D. Bible
> Most information above excerpted from the books Glimpses of Tusculum and
Green
> ville One Hundred Year Portrait which can be purchased. Their respective
> publishers are Sexton & Smith and Doughty.

This thread: