AZ-GVGS-L Archives

Archiver > AZ-GVGS > 2009-03 > 1237000745

From: "Betty Malesky" <>
Subject: [AZ-GVGS] Fw: Our STATE LIBRARY is in grave danger of closing...
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 20:19:05 -0700

I received this message from the Governor of the Arizona Society of Mayflower Descendants in Phoenix. It's particularly disturbing in view of the fact that the long awaited, new State of Arizona Archives Building including a much expanded genealogy section was just dedicated two months ago on 15 Jan 2009.

I feel this is a vital matter of interest, and wanted our Membership to be aware of it....

Subject: Our STATE LIBRARY is in grave danger of closing...

Do not wish to alarm unnecessarily, but an important matter has been brought to my attention, and it is certainly deserving of our thoughts....

Ms. GLADYS ANN WELLS, Director of the AZ State Library, states that they might have to close this library due to budget cuts. It was further discussed that the LAW & RESEARCH LIBRARY and the HISTORY & ARCHIVES departments are in particular danger with the cuts being discussed. The GENEALOGY area of the research department has taken the biggest cut. In 2007, the division had 45 employees; this year the number is 14. NATIONAL HISTORY DAY, largely coordinated by the State Library, is also in trouble - may be cut entirely from the budget! As you know: We just donated monies in SUPPORT of this endeavor! Ms. Wells added that if we are interested in history and genealogical resources, we need to notify our State Legislators. You may contact: The Honorable Bob Burns, President of the Arizona State Senate () as soon as possible. To send letters, send to: The Arizona State Senate, Capitol Complex, 1700 W. Washington, Phoenix, AZ 85007-2890. The Arizona House of Representatives is at the same address.

It is my fervent wish that ALL Hereditary Societies within the State of Arizona will make this a priority issue!

Sincerely, Lee Thomasson Nelson, Governor/AZ Mayflower Society.

This thread: