AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN-MILITARY-L Archives

Archiver > AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN-MILITARY > 2004-12 > 1103054119

From: "Vladimir Bohinc" <>
Subject: Re: [0.7] [A-H-MILITARY] Prisoners of War WWI
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:55:19 +0100

Dear Karen,
I was researching the records of WW1 POWs recently. There are very many of
them, however, I doubt, the archive will do this search.
The records physically are in a form of paper stripes, sometimes very thin,
which makes the search very time consuming.
The size of the strip is one inch by ten inches. Strips are being stored in
boxes, which contain about 1600 or more of them. The are sorted
approximately phonetically. What I noticed immediately, was, that these
stripes have almost never been searched, since some of them were still bound
in smaller packages, and all were very dirty from black war and who knows
what dust. It was evident, that not very many hands have touched this.
Such a stripe usually has a name, year and place of birth, unit and when and
where captured. Sometimes also into which camp transposrted. Sometimes much
less information.
With best regards,
Vladimir