AUSSIE-GEN-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > AUSSIE-GEN-RESEARCH > 2010-09 > 1284245873

From: Ms Betty Fredericks <>
Subject: [AUSSIE-GEN-RESEARCH] New List: CHILD-MIGRANTS-UK
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 15:57:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I hope the Administrator of this List does not mind if I tell the researchers on this List that I have just been approved to start up a new List:

http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index/intl/UK/CHILD-MIGRANTS-UK.html

It is meant for all the "child migrants" which were either shipped to or flown to the British Colonies. This "child migrant scheme" went on from 1860 to 1970 - about 100 years. And, possibly close to 150,000 unwanted or needy children were sent of the United Kingdom and Ireland.

If it is not a problem, I will offer more information on another day.

Betty (near Lowell, MA, USA)

( on Lists for almost 9 yrs.; now an Admin for 9 Lists,
including CORKILL and CAN-USA-Migration )

(My great-grandparents, "Stanley" LEWIS and Mary CORKILL, were born in ~1860 in Liverpool, Lancashire, England, and were shipped to Canada in 1874. They and Mary's siblings all went to different families in Nova Scotia. In Canada this is "2010, the Year of the British Home Child.")

This thread: