AUS-WA-KALGOORLIE-REGION-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-WA-KALGOORLIE-REGION > 2011-07 > 1310973189

From: Josephine Marie Roelofs <>
Subject: Re: [AUS-WA-KALGOORLIE-REGION] Radio
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 15:13:09 +0800 (WST)
In-Reply-To: <50F693E89DCF4AADAF58B71F07E02B22@StephaniePC>

Hi Stephanie

I am currently away from home but I have a copy of the Agnew book which I think Jean is referring too. I also have some photos of the old Agnew cemetery. I am booked to have an eye op this coming Friday. However, once I am back to being at home and able to see properly again will look up my reference books and see if I can assist.

google 'and all so far from home' this is a fantastic website that covers many of the towns in the WA goldfields (some that no longer exist).

Good luck with the searching

Kind regards

Jo
From: "Stephanie Cocks" <>
Sent: Monday, 18 July, 2011 9:20:20 AM GMT +08:00 Beijing / Chongqing / Hong Kong / Urumqi
Subject: Re: [AUS-WA-KALGOORLIE-REGION] Radio

Should have checked my emails last night hey Jean... Sorry about that.
AND I was doing a less popular thing, cleaning out kitchen cupboards!!
I think Sidney Herbert is going to be a bit of a test.... :-))

From: Jean Lyneham
Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2011 7:15 PM
Subject: Re: [AUS-WA-KALGOORLIE-REGION] Radio

It hsd not yet happened. It is TONIGHT at 9.10 WA time (SUNDAY)or a bit
later. If you miss it, I don't know if there is a way of hearing it later
on. You could try 6PR on Monday.

It would be later SA time.

Don't know that it will be all that worth listening to - don't know what
they will ask.

best wishes

Jean Lyneham

From: "Stephanie Cocks" <>
Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2011 9:31 AM
Subject: Re: [AUS-WA-KALGOORLIE-REGION] COCKS Sidney Herbert POSSIBLE CLUE

> Hi Jean,
> Thanks, I have my fingers crossed for our library having the book,
> otherwise
> I will try SLSA, whether such a thing as interstate/interlibrary loan
> exists, that is yet to be tested :-)
> Mm, yes I think some of my 'own' families went to W.A. apart from my
> husband's people.
> No, not as yet, but will check the white pages online.
> Oh if I had come in here 15 minutes earlier, or maybe more, I havn't
> listened to radio online before, and it was nearly 9:30 our time, SO I AM
> SORRY I MISSED YOU ON THE RADIO!!! *&*%^*&%
> Would there by any chance be a transcript available from the station?
> Maybe
> not...
> Steph.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jean Lyneham
> Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2011 6:41 PM
> Subject: Re: [AUS-WA-KALGOORLIE-REGION] COCKS Sidney Herbert POSSIBLE CLUE
> Steph, I hope that my contribution helps.
> The "Agnew" book is published in WA and Hesperian is a printer
> specialising
> in WA history.
> Many people came here from SA, including some of my relatives.
> Did you check the WA Post Officew Directories and the census lists yet?
> always worth a look.
> You probably do not receive Radio 6PR in SA, but I am being interviewed
> this
> Sunday (tomorrow ) night at about 9.15 WA time. The interview is about
> the
> Wiluna-Leonora area where the Cock people lived.
> Happy hunting.
> Jean Lyneham
> Message -----
> From: "Stephanie Cocks" <>
> To: <>
> Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2011 1:06 PM
> Subject: Re: [AUS-WA-KALGOORLIE-REGION] COCKS Sidney Herbert POSSIBLE CLUE
>> Hi Jean,
>> THANKS for your reply.
>> I plan on going to the library sometime this week, so will check if they
>> have a copy, or perhaps it is only a W.A. book??? Will check anyway.
>> I think from what I can gather from Census reports there look to have
>> been
>> two Sidney Herbert COCKs in the goldfields area, really strange... But
>> the
>> wives names do sort it a bit I think, the wife that goes with the
>> 'correct'
>> Sidney was Edith, there is another with a 'classical' name that I can't
>> remember off the top of my head. Doesn't look like Sidney and Edith had
>> any
>> children, from what I have seen so far.
>> Thanks again Jean! I hope your weekend is a good one!
>> Steph in Adelaide :-)
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Jean Lyneham
>> Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2011 12:45 PM
>> To:
>> Subject: Re: [AUS-WA-KALGOORLIE-REGION] COCKS Sidney Herbert POSSIBLE
>> CLUE
>> Hi,
>> There was a family by the name of Cock living in the Eastern Goldfields.
>> The last one I know of died within the last ten years. Tom and Bill were
>> two of them and they were around the Agnew area. Tommy, I think it was,
>> ran
>> the Agnew hotel until his death.
>> Look in the book "Agnew' published by Hesperian Press.
>> Jean Lyneham (Moriarty)
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "Stephanie Cocks" <>
>> To: "Western Australia Kalgoorlie"
>> <>
>> Sent: Friday, July 15, 2011 4:10 PM
>> Subject: [AUS-WA-KALGOORLIE-REGION] COCKS Sidney Herbert
>>>
>>> Dear Listers,
>>>
>>> Sidney Herbert COCK was my husband’s G Uncle. It appears he went at
>>> some
>>> time to W.A. I don’t know when, but he enlisted at Blackboy Camp, WWI,
>>> his
>>> NOK was Edith COCK, Piesse St., Boulder.
>>>
>>> COCK Sidney Herbert
>>> 24 June 1877
>>> Male
>>> Father Nicholas COCK
>>> Mother Elizabeth Ann CRAGO
>>> BirthPlace/Res Portland Estate
>>> Dist PtA
>>> Bk/Pge 186/23
>>>
>>> Can anyone help please? Thanks for any help or suggestions.
>>>
>>> Steph in Adelaide.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> -------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>>> with the word
>>> 'unsubscribe'
>>> without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe'
>> without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe'
>> without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> with the word 'unsubscribe'
> without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> with the word 'unsubscribe'
> without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
with the word 'unsubscribe'
without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message