AUS-NSW-NORCO-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-NSW-NORCO > 2003-02 > 1046243156

From: Jan Glasby <>
Subject: Re: AVERY of Grafton
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 18:05:56 +1100

Hi Rhonda,

Thanks for the info. I popped into the Library after work this afternoon
and found these obits which explains how Mary Ann (Avery) Smith came to be
writing diaries in 1898 and 1900 while living at "Rosewood". But I'm still
unsure if Harry Smith purchased "Rosewood" after William Layton's death, or
if he just lived there for a while.

Mary Anne (Avery) Smith
DEATH NOTICE "Daily News" 27 March 1922
SMITH - On March 25, 1922, at "Verona", Fitzroy St, Grafton, Mary Ann
Smith, relict of the late Harry Smith.
"Daily News" 27 March 1922
The death took place on Saturday March 25, of Mrs Harry Smith, at her
residence, "Verona", Fitzroy St, Grafton, at the age of 79 years. The
deceased lady was the relict of the late Mr Harry Smith, and was an old and
highly-esteemed resident of the district. She leaves a family of six sons
and five daughters, 31 grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren to mourn
her loss.
OBITUARY "Daily News" 27 March 1922
A GRAFTON PIONEER
In the death of Mrs Harry Smith, which occurred at her residence in
Grafton, on Saturday, March 25, Grafton has lost one of its oldest and most
esteemed residents.
Mrs Smith was born at Gordon Brook in October 1843, exactly a year after
her parents (the late Mr and Mrs Samuel Avery) arrived in the colony from
Cornwall, England. Gordon Brook was at that time owned by Mr Crozier, and
it was there and at Cangai, then owned by Mr Briscoe Ray, that Mrs Smith
spent the first seven years of her life. In 1849 Mr and Mrs Avery, with
their two children, came to what is now spoken of with pride as the City of
Grafton on the Clarence River, but in those days the city did not exist and
neither the place nor the river could boast of any name. They settled on
the bank of the nameless river, at a spot which is now between Verona and
the sawmill. The production at that time was cedar, which was sawn at a
sawpit, situated on the present site of Pound St bridge, and shipped by
sailing vessels at a wharf at the mouth of Alumny Creek. At a later period
a wharf was erected and known as Colley's wharf, on the spot where the
butter factory now stands. Mr Sharpe opened a store there which became the
first post office and police station. It was in the vicinity of this wharf
that the couch grass now so common established itself. It was supposed to
have been introduced by some fo the ships trading there for timber.
Such scenes were amongst Mrs Smith's earliest recollections of this
district where she resided for nearly 80 years. She married Mr Harry Smith,
who passed away some years agao, leaving her with a family of 6 sons and 5
daughters. (Rest of page cut off)

Harry Smith
OBITUARY "Daily News" Monday 19 July 1920
The death occurred on Saturday night at his residence, "Verona", Fitzroy
St, Grafton, of an old pioneer, in the person of Mr Harry Smith, at the
ripe age of 87 years. Born in Kent, England, in 1833, he came with his
parents to Australia in 1839. His young days were spent on the Hunter
River, and he first came to the Clarence in 1854, bringing cattle to
Yugilbar with the late Mr (afterwards Hon.) E. D. Ogilvie. He went back to
the Hunter, and made a second trip to the Clarence with cattle. On that
occasion he remained in the district, and put in some time on the diggings
at Timbarra, Bulldog and McLeod's Creeks, remaining at that occupation till
1860, when he acquired a grazing property at Cheviot Hills North. He
remained there till 1880, when he came down to live at Trenayr. He remained
at Trenayr for about seven years, and then removed to Rosewood, living
there until the Government resumed the land for railway purposes. Then he
came to live at "Verona", where he resided for the remainder of his
lifetime. He was of a quiet and retiring disposition, and earned the
respect of a large circle of friends during his lengthy sojourn in the
Clarence River district. Besides his widow, he leaves a family of five sons
and five daughters, viz. Messrs H. A. and G. A. Smith, Tenterfield; Oswald,
Palmer's Island; Arthur, Cheviot Hills, Drake; Frank, The Mole,
Tenterfield; Graham, Bathurst; Mrs R. R. Smith, Grafton; Mrs Dykes Sydney;
Mrs Webb, Kyogle; Mrs Stening, Inverell; and Mrs Haselhurst, Grafton. The
funeral will leave his late residence at three o'clock this afternoon for
Christ Church Cathedral, thence to the Grafton Cemetery.

They certainly gave interesting info in those days, didn't they!

Cheers
Jan

At 04:21 PM 26/02/2003 +1100, Rhonda Turnbull wrote:

>Jan,
>

>> and Jane LAYTON. I can't work out how Mary Ann (Avery) SMITH is
>related to
>> George Miller AVERY.
>
>She was his sister:
>
>1). Mary Ann AVERY b. 11/10/1842 m. 16/6/1859, Henry SMITH
>2). George Miller AVERY b. 22/04/1844 m. 5/2/1868, Marion Jane
>MITCHELL
>
>Mary Ann and George Miller, were the children of Samuel & Arabella
>AVERY(nee MILLER)
>
>Regards,
>Rhonda

This thread: