AUS-NSW-HILLS-HAWKESBURY-HUNTER-VALLEY-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-NSW-HILLS-HAWKESBURY-HUNTER-VALLEY > 2005-10 > 1128686323

From: "Maureen" <>
Subject: Hot Gossip 1900 - Lower Portland
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 21:58:43 +1000

[Windsor & Richmond Gazette, Saturday, February 3, 1900 - page 8]

LOWER PORTLAND

The s. s. "Narara," (Gosford Steamship Company) is at present running two weekly trips on the river on behalf [of] the H. S. N. Company. The "Narara" is a recently built boat, and is an excellent cargo vessel.

Some of the local readers of the GAZETTE are puzzling themselves to find out who "Chris," the writer of "Notes En Passant" in the GAZETTE, is.

Mr. G. Jones, son of Mr. W. Jones, had the misfortune to sustain a broken leg one day last week, by a tree falling across it. The sufferer is being attended by Dr. Gibson, and we hope before long to see George out and about again.

Mr. T. C. Chaseling has launched his new trading boat, "Emporium." We understand that the "Emporium" is to be moored in the Colo River for several weeks, so that residents will be able to purchase their requirements any and every day they like.

Mr. Editor Campbell. - Allow me to congratulate you on your accession to the editorial chair and proprietorship of the GAZETTE. I feel sure you will conduct it in a manner that will always maintain its power and popularity in the Hawkesbury District.

[Thanks. - Ed.]

The school treat held on Saturday last was very successful in every way. The worthy teacher, Mr. J. R. James, has decided to give the children prizes in the near future. We understand also that Mr. Simpson, headmaster of Freeman's Reach School, will give a lantern entertainment in Mr. James' school in a few weeks, in aid of the prize fund.

This thread: