From: Marsha Boles <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD] Off subject - Glenna
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 16:16:17 -0800 (PST)

Amazing what you can and can NOT find at the grocery stores now.

Bavarian Sauerkraut (milder than regular kraut) - disappeared around here for a year or two and now it is back. Have gotten at Wally World, but all stores don't stock the same.
Got my last batch at Kroger - they don't all stock the same either.
My local green grocer is Easy Way and they were my supplier last year.
Schnucks (old Albersons) have it now too, but not last year.
If I have to used the regular sauerkraut - drain in colander and give it a toss and quick rinse under running water. Water won't hurt a thing and gets rid of some salt.
Bavarian Sauerkraut has whole caraway seeds, but I like more.
Add ½ - 1 tsp. caraway seeds and the brown sugar.
Caraway is used to top rolls, in rye bread, carrot cakes and havarti cheese - great in soups. Just adds that something extra!  Might as well use it before it gets old.
Marsha

--- On Thu, 1/20/11, Glenna Goodwin <> wrote
Marsha, thanks for the recipe--sounds great.  The only problem I have is I cannot find Bavarian Sauerkraut anymore.  Looked at Wally World and Homeland, and 3 other smaller stores we have around ,and none to be had!  i wonder why I am unable to find it--where do you get yours?  Thanks, Glenna Goodwin

This thread: