From: PEGGY TRUESDELL <>
Subject: [ARIZARD] NELSON / AUSBURN / MARTIN / RIDGWAY (Buford, Baxter County,AR)
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 19:06:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hello, Sue!

You probably know that son of George Washington AUSBURN, Abraham Buford AUSBURN
(for whom Buford in Baxter County, AR was named, according to writing of G. N.
NELSON, saying they were cousin) married my grandmother's sister, Elzetta Elyree
RIDGWAY.  The AUSBURN and RIDGWAY families surely knew each in Baxter County, as
it was not long after they moved to near Wagoner, Creek Nation, there were two
marriages:  (1) Elzetta Elyree & Buford AUSBURN; (2) Mary Allen AUSBURN (sister
of Buford), previously married in Baxter County to Joseph J. MARTIN (they had
daughter), and Almus Daltha RIDGWAY (brother of Elzetta).

Uncle Buford and Aunt Elzetta lived and died in Tulsa.  My parents and
grandparents Robert Polk and Lavinia Agee {RIDGWAY} KING lived in nearby Broken
Arrow.  The families interacted through the years and with their sister Ocless
Penn {RIDGWAY} HOOD, who lived in Hulbert, OK.  The AUSBURN sons, Bonness and
Rube, often visited the HOODs and fished and hunted on 14-Mile Creek.  I must
add story about them to my tree.

Bonness was extremely talented artist (which he said his father didn't approve
or support).  During his early years in Tulsa, he prepared movie theater posters
that were exhibited in entry hallway for coming attraction movies.  His only
child, Floyd, has them.  I saw these at Bonness' home during visits with him, as
well as paintings on canvas, of which he always promised to give me one but
never did.  He also had great arrowhead collection from 14-Mile Creek area.
During his military service, he would and sell paintings to service men.  Some
bought them; if they didn't, he still had them.  I saw some of these and they
were great.  Seems he was stationed in or near Memphis, because he had seen Lena
HORNE.  His business was named "Tulsign" -- apparently quite lucrative as he
owned and rented several business buildings.

Rube and Katherine were charter members of a Presbyterian Church at corner
of King and North Cheyenne Avenue.  Their names are on a stained glass window.
They later moved to the University of Tulsa area, where they lived until going
to Springfield, Missouri to live near son Ross, who owned a "container"
manufacturing company.  They died there but buried in Memorial Park at southeast
corner of 51st & Memorial.

Tulsa had notable hotel, "The Mayo" and it had large valet parking garage, "Mayo
Motor Inn" and Rube managed it.  The parking garage is still there and the hotel
has been restored and is in business at Fifth & Cheyenne in Downtown Tulsa.

I had read G. N. NELSON's writing years ago but just in last few years found the
link relating the NELSON and AUSBURN families.  You can see that in my
RIDGWAY-McWHERTER tree on ancestry.  Sometimes AUSBURN is spelled differently in
records and gets mixed with ORSBORNE and others in Baxter County.

Your input, Sue, and anyone else would be appreciated.  And it's good to hear
from you again!

Peggy

Peggy {KING} TRUESDELL
Native of Broken Arrow, Tulsa County, OK; transplanted to Fort Worth, Texas in
2004 -- Still singing "Take Me Back to Tulsa."

This thread: