From: Marsha Boles <>
Subject: [ARIZARD] More Sam Walton kudos
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 10:48:20 -0800 (PST)

Glenna,
Didn't read the book, but PBS has been doing series on National Parks for seveal months. Love them to do repeats as I can finally get around to seeing them all.
PBS did over an hour special on the Buffalo River - so good I watched it twiced.
Buffalo River was apparently first river to be protected by National Park System and good ole Sam Walton put on a tie and went to Washington willing to put his $$$ where his mouth was. As I recall, local congressman thought pork-barrel-spending-spree should include multiple dams on this little river. Committee to save the river had been formed for some time and gettin nowhere until one of the guys took Sam down the river in a canoe.  Sam was instantly commited to saving the river and congressman's career pretty much ended.
Marsha