From: "Harold Blevins" <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD] Map question
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 16:50:27 -0600

Drytown & Barren Fork are alternate names for Mt. Pleasant. It was first
called "Barren Fork" and the first post office had that name. Later, it was
nicknamed "Drytown" because there were very few wells and most folks
had to use cisterns to catch water. My Grand-dad used to haul freight up
from the railroad through "Drytown" with a wagon and team of mules. That's
all I ever heard him call it.

The "blank" township between Sage and Violet Hill is "Lacrosse", where my
mother was born.

Strawberry Twp. is probably named for Strawberry River which runs through it.

The Big Springs community was so called because of a large flowing spring
between Mt. Pleasant and Cave City, south of the present Highway 58. I have
never been to the cemetery myself but have seen references in Carroll
Hayden's book.

Don't know any thing about New Hope Twp., I have never seen anything on
a community by that name.....HRB
http://www.couchgenweb.com/arkansas/izard/izardmap.htm

Kinda quiet . . . thought I'd ask some questions.
Always looking for a better map, seems I can never find the one I remember met my needs in the past.
Snooping around came across this again and thought I would ask.

I understand the theory of placing townships on a map, this map just doesn't have stuff where I think it should be. And, it is dated "1900."

Area call "New Hope" would be area I know best but can't recall anything by that name around there, neither can mom.

"Drytown" - wasn't that another name for Bonetown?

"Strawberry" - thought that was in Sharp Co.

"Big Springs" - thought it was in northern section.

My interest: looking for map to associate with cememeteries list (that project I keep working on).

Opinions most welcome.
Marsha