From: "Candy Lawrence" <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD] Civil War help - Rick or anyone
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 16:04:54 -0500

Yep, I found James (NMN) Tollison in Company D of Dobbin's Regiment, 1st
Arkansas Cavalry and he enlisted (or was paroled) at age 19. I verify he
was born in Alabama and paroled at Jacksonport.
The unit's flag was a red Cross of St. George on a blue field with 13 white
stars on the cross. It was captured by Union forces on 10/12/1863 at Tulip,
AR by the 1st Indiana Cavalry - which was a bad thing to happen as a unit's
regimental colors is their identifier, their "soul" if you will and men
would give their lives to save their flag.

In case you are interested, the Dobbin's mentioned was Colonel Arch
Dobbins, the organizer and commander of this regiment. He was an average
commander...nothing great but aparently not incompetent but due to his
independent nature he was not well-liked by his superiors. No one
questioned his fighting spirit - just he fact he had a tendency to disobey
orders he did not like or agree with. After the war he fell into problems
with Reconstruction people and Unionists and felt he could no longer live
here due to his loyalties, opinions and Confederate beliefs. So he moved to
Brazil, leaving his wife and children behind. He did write to them and
talked about them also coming to Brazil as he had established property and
liked the country. But, the letters stopped after a year or two and he
never returned to the US. What happened to him is unknown as far as I know.

I fear though, I've struck out of Hitson and Tilghman.

Rick