ARIZARD-L ArchivesArchiver > ARIZARD > 2008-05 > 1211331817
From: "Harold Blevins" <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD] McGaha-Vera
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 20:03:37 -0500
I found this much on her in my files, don't remember why I kept it unless it was the Chrisco, Moser
and McVey connections. (I don't have a couple of the children mentioned in the obit)
1. REBECCA JANE HURST was born 15 Jul 1871 in Sevier County TN, and died 14 Jan 1957 in Batesville AR (bur @ Barren Fork Cem., Izard). She married ULYSSES STEWART MCGAHA 12 Mar 1893, son of WILLIAM MCGAHA and MARY JOHNSON. He was born 06 Feb 1868 in Cosby, Cocke County TN, and died 21 Jun 1939 in Batesville AR (bur @ Barren Fork Cem., Izard).
Children of REBECCA HURST and ULYSSES MCGAHA are:
2. i. MARTHA ELIZABETH MCGAHA, b. 16 Jan 1894, Knoxville, Knox County TN; d. 15 Mar 1969, Craighead County, AR (Caraway Cemetery).
ii. JETER MCKINLEY MCGAHA, b. 26 Oct 1896, Knoxville, Knox County TN.
3. iii. MARY LEOTA "MOLLIE" MCGAHA, b. 16 Oct 1898, Sevier County TN; d. 09 Oct 1963, Izard County AR (Barren Fork).
iv. ADDIE JULIA MCGAHA, b. 1901, Sevier County TN.
Generation No. 2
2. MARTHA ELIZABETH MCGAHA (REBECCA JANE HURST) was born 16 Jan 1894 in Knoxville, Knox County TN, and died 15 Mar 1969 in Craighead County, AR (Caraway Cemetery). She married BARTLEY HENDERSON MCMAHAN Abt. 1910 in Izard County AR. He was born 23 Jan 1889 in Cosby, Cocke County TN.
Child of MARTHA MCGAHA and BARTLEY MCMAHAN is:
4. i. NEWELL S. "BREEZY" MCGAHA, b. 26 Sep 1912, Mt. Pleasant Izard County AR; d. 24 Jan 1993, Cashmere WA.
3. MARY LEOTA "MOLLIE" MCGAHA (REBECCA JANE HURST) was born 16 Oct 1898 in Sevier County TN, and died 09 Oct 1963 in Izard County AR (Barren Fork). She married CHARLES ALEXANDER CRAIG, son of FRANCIS CRAIG and SARAH TERRILL. He was born 22 Jul 1898, and died 31 Mar 1961 in Izard County AR (Barren Fork).
Child of MARY MCGAHA and CHARLES CRAIG is:
i. DAPHNE CRAIG, b. 06 Oct 1927; d. 04 Aug 2007, Wenatchee, Chelan, WA; m. (1) HORACE EDWARD MOSER, 17 Mar 1951; b. Abt. 1927; d. 05 Sep 1952; m. (2) RANSOM DAVID FLOYD, 21 Jul 1972; b. 13 Jun 1927; d. 19 Dec 1997, Wenatchee, Chelan, WA.
Generation No. 3
4. NEWELL S. "BREEZY" MCGAHA (MARTHA ELIZABETH , REBECCA JANE HURST) was born 26 Sep 1912 in Mt. Pleasant Izard County AR, and died 24 Jan 1993 in Cashmere WA. He married EMMA HETTIE MCVEY 30 Dec 1930 in Stella, Izard County AR, daughter of JAMES MCVEY and ALICE BUTLER. She was born 29 Jul 1914 in Washington, and died 03 Mar 1991 in East Wenatchee WA.
McGaha in the 1920 Izard Census.
Children of NEWELL MCGAHA and EMMA MCVEY are:
i. CLOYCE MCGAHA.
ii. JOYCE MCGAHA.
iii. RON MCGAHA.
iv. JUDY MCGAHA.
v. ALAN MCGAHA.
Melbourne Times - Jan 17, 1957 – Mrs McGaha, Mt. Pleasant, Passes Away
Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon for Mrs Rebecca McGaha who passed away Monday at Batesville hospital.
Rebecca J. McGaha was born July 5, 1871 in Sevier County, Tenn. She was married March 12, 1890 to Ulysses S. Grant McGaha. The family moved to Arkansas 1905 and have lived here since.
Five children were born in this union, all of whom survive. They are: Mollie Craig, with who she made her home in Mt. Pleasant. Mrs Bessie Bearden of Conway, Mrs Addie Phillips of Stella, Jetter McGaha also of Mt Pleasant and Billy McGaha of Wenatchee, Wash.
Services were held at the Barren Fork Church with burial in the Barren Fork Cemetery, Bro. George Howard officiated as minister.