From: Roger Harvell <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD] John Love Byler and Margaret ?
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 17:25:19 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Okay, guys, here is what I think is up with Margarette Hawkins/Cheatham.

I believe her to be the same woman. See if you agree...

1880 Newburg Township, Izard County, Arkansas
James WATSON Self M 26
Polina 23 * nee Cheatham?
Tinabell 4
Wesley 2
Joseph CHEATHAM Self M Male W 61 VA Farmer VA VA
Elisabeth CHEATHAM Wife M Female W 40 GA Keeping House TN NC
Robert CHEATHAM Son S Male W 5 AR VA GA
Nancy CHEATHAM Dau S Female W 1 AR VA GA

Robert Cheatham here is Charles Cheatham's father. Sarah Elizabeth (the wife here) was nee Benton. Here is the Benton household in 1870:
1870 Mill Creek, Izard County, Arkansas
101 102 Benton Sarah 65 NC
Amanda 22 GA
Clark Nancy 33 GA
William 14 GA
Carry An 10 GA
Hawkins Elisabeth 28 GA *****Sarah Elizabeth Benton-Hawkins-Cheatham
Townson Marthy 20 GA
Margaret 8 AR *****Margaret Hawkins-(Cheatham)-Byler
Sarah 1 AR

I believe that 8 year-old Margaret here is Margaret Hawkins - that the confusion comes in after her mother married Joseph Cheatham...

Margaret of this household would be the right age to be Margaret w/o John L Byler in 1880:
1880 Newburg, Izard County, Arkansas
13 13 Byler John Head 23 AR TN TN
Margaret Wife 18 AR GA GA
Thomas Son 4m (Feb) AR AR AR