From: Beth Cooper <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD] Off-subject: Preserving Arkansas' AgriculturalHeritage
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:48:46 -0800 (PST)

I'm sharing this now, because I have just read it and even though this is a bit early, I'm warning you now to dig out your
Arkansas seeds that your ancestors collected and saved-----and seriously think about sharing at least a few of them so they
can be documented and kept producing for your great great grandchildren and others interested souls.

This is a very worthwhile project that one of my good friends, Tina Marie Wilcox, gardner at the Ozark Folk Center is very
serious about. The more that we can preserve now, the more the future generations will have of the true heritage horicultural treasures that our ancestors enjoyed and loved enough to save!

If any of you are interested, our Ozark unit of the Herb Society of America will be meeting that day and will be extremely involved in this
event. I'm sure it will be a great day of fun, good friends, good food and wonderful education about special plants that ancestors saved.
If you have questions and can't get in touch with any of these people, email me---I'll try to answer your question or get you an answer.
Enjoy!
Beth

P.S. Fern, wonder if Rhodes knows about this? Do you have his current email, I sent something and got it back!

Subject: FIRST ANNUAL MULTI-COUNTY SEED SWAP TO PRESERVE ARKANSAS'AGRICULTURAL HERITAGE

For Immediate Release

CONTACT: Dr. Brian Campbell , (501) 450-3178 TT, (706) 540-4520 MWF,
Tina Marie Wilcox (870) 269-3851, M-F,
or Dr. Alison Hall , (501) 376-2166 TT, (501) 450-5498 MWF

FIRST ANNUAL MULTI-COUNTY SEED SWAP TO PRESERVE ARKANSAS' AGRICULTURAL HERITAGE

CONWAY, ARK. -- The University of Central Arkansas, the Ozark Folk Center State Park and the Conserving Arkansas' Agricultural Heritage (CAAH) Project will host the first annual Ozark Seed Swap on March 1, 2008 at the Ozark Folk Center State Park Conference Center.

Bring some seeds and stories to swap with other Ozark seed savers and yarn spinners. If you have no seeds to swap but want to get started, come along to mingle with gardeners and farmers who can help. We can conserve the agricultural heritage of the Ozarks and share good stories, beautify our yards, get free seeds, and eat good food while doing it. Refreshments will be provided.

WHAT: 1st Annual Ozark Seed Swap
WHEN: March 1, 2008, 12-3PM
WHERE: Ozark Folk Center State Park Administration Building, Mountain View, Arkansas. 870-269-3851 1032 Park Ave Mountain View, AR 72560, US
WHO: University of Central Arkansas Sociology Department and Humanities and World Cultures Institute partnering with the Ozark Folk Center State Park and any interested farmers and gardeners
WHY: Arkansas farmers and gardeners have a legacy of heirloom seeds that are in danger of being lost, and sharing of seeds will encourage production of diverse varieties for posterity.
HOW IT WORKS: Anyone can bring seeds to swap or share. University students will assist Dr. Campbell in saving a master set to distribute for the next season and keeping a database of local varieties.
COST: None.

Got Whippoorwills? Razorbacks? Red Rippers? Pencil Cob? Hickory King? Greasebacks? Turkey Craws? Want some? Come to the Old-Timey Ozark Seed Swap

The results of the this project will be the collection of information on endangered seeds, promotion of a seed sharing resource, rejuvenation of traditional Ozark seed swaps and passing on of seeds (as is being encouraged by the University of Georgia's Southern Seed Legacy), study of the feasibility of expanding consumer-supported agricultural systems, and publication of results of the study in anthropological journals and the popular press. As for the latter, there is much interest in subjects related to the American diet and food production methods (see best-sellers by Michael Pollan, OMNIVORE'S DILEMMA and BOTANY OF DESIRE, Frances Moore Lappe's HOPE'S EDGE, and Eric Schlosser's FAST FOOD NATION). The importance of global seed saving is also being increasingly recognized and popularized (see John Seabrook's article "Sowing for Apocalypse" in the August 27, 2007 edition of THE NEW YORKER). An anthropological study will add to the growing literature a
further appreciation of just how important preserving traditional knowledge can be for human posterity and even survival. For more information on the University of Georgia model for this project see http://www.uga.edu/ebl/ssl/

# # #

This thread: