From: "Diana Holland Calderon" <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD] Trail of Tears
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:11:25 +0000

It was also against the law back then, in some states, if not all... for an
indian and a white to marry. Indians could not own land, etc...

I have another branch of supposed indian blood, but I will probably never be
able to figure it quite out either. Had heard possibilities with another
branch... but no one else had heard it. So who knows. There was a lot more
intermarriage than people realize I'm sure. It's so sad... lose who you
are, or lose your freedom.

I had figured it would be the old settlers... ones who came prior to the
trail of tears... that my blood came from... but finding the link when
everyone tried to lose the heritage... it's worse than a needle in a
haystack.

My parents never even admitted it... it was an uncle who told me. Then mom
and dad confirmed it. In all the years of cowboys and indians play... I
wanted to be an indian... always felt an affinity for them. Rode my paint
with the wind bareback... I found out a little late why... it's in my
blood.

Di