From: "candyandrick" <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD] Trail of Tears
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 21:00:41 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

You are 100% right about folks up there keeping their Indian blood quiet for
fear of being moved (also for fear of what we now call discrimination). My
great grandmother, Dora Clem Lawrence, wife of John Martin Lawrence, was
reportedly either 1/4th or 1/2 Indian, presumably Cherokee but no one knows
for sure. It is for that reason I had feathers put on her headstone I
placed on her unmarked grave a couple of years ago. Her mother, Martha
Hardin Clem was adopted by a white family around the time of the Trail of
Tears. My father told me that the Lawrence's did not claim their Indian
blood as they were afraid they would loose their home and then later did not
sign up for a roll number as they did not want a hand-out or have the gov't
know they were Indians. Someone in the family told him this when he was
young.

Rick Lawrence - Tulsa