From: "candyandrick" <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD] chatter persimmons
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 13:41:08 -0600

Howdy Cousin!

Persimmons...that brings back a fond memory.

My dad and I were "down in the country" in the Warner, OK area where his
parents are buried (William Thomas "Buck" Lawrence and Sarah "Nettie"
Jeffery Lawrence) one day when I was about 12. The persimmon trees where
heavy with fruit and they were still mainly green but some were starting to
turn orange. Dad had always talked about how good persimmons were and I
decided to get one and try it out. My dad, who I trusted implicitly, picked
one for me that was still a little green, and told me to enjoy it! Well I
bit down into that thing and I would have sworn that my mouth sealed up as
if I had used super glue on it! That was the most driest, saliva stealing
thing I had ever bit into. And it wasn't sweet either! When folks talk
about how alum will pucker and dry someone up they've hit the green
persimmon taste right on the head! Of course my dad thought it was a real
hoot and had a knee-slapping good time watching my face draw up! As I was
spitting it out and wondering where I was going to get some water, he
explained how you can't eat the green ones and that you had to wait until
they were orange and almost mushy to the touch before you ate them. But ya
know...he never could get me to eat another one, orange and mushy or not!

Rick Lawrence - Tulsa