Subject: Vincent Garner, Permilla Amelia Debo, Jasper Churchill
Date: 4 Aug 2006 15:46:09 -0600

Surnames: Churchill, Garner, Debo
Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/ZV.2ADE/1867

Message Board Post:

For more information, contact Judy Churchill at

Descendants of Vincent JR Garner

Generation No. 1

1. VINCENT JR5 GARNER (VINCENT SR4, BENJAMIN3, VINCENT2, THOMAS1) was born 1819 in Pulaski Co., Kentucky, and died 27 Jul 1898 in Montgomery Co., Kansas. He married (1) NANCY H. MCKENZIE 20 Sep 1841 in Pulaski Co., Kentucky, daughter of JOHN MCKENZIE and SUSANNAH BOBBITT. She was born 23 Feb 1821 in Pulaski Co., Kentucky, and died 18 Apr 1881 in Pulaski Co., Kentucky. He married (2) PERMILLA AMELIA DEBO 12 Oct 1882 in Montgomery Co., Kansas, daughter of RANSOM DEBO and RHONDA HENDERSON. She was born 18 Oct 1845 in Johnson Co., Indiana, and died 09 Jun 1919 in Sycamore, Montgomery Co., Kansas.

Notes for VINCENT JR GARNER:
Both Vincent JR and his father Vincent SR were Slave Owners.
1850 Slave Schedules
Vincent Sr had 5 slaves. 2 females age 60 and 17. 3 males age 35, 8, 7.
Vincent Jr had 3 slaves. 1 female age 11, 2 males age 11 and 10.
Name: VINCENT JR. GARNER
State: KY
County: Pulaski County
Township: Div. 2
Year: 1850
Record Type: Slave Schedule
Page: 501
Database: KY 1850 Slave Schedule

U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 Record
Name: Vincent Garner
Gender: male
Birth Place: KY
Birth Year: 1819
Spouse Name: Nancy H. Mckenzie
Spouse
Birth Place: KY
Spouse Birth Year: 1821
Marriage State: of KS
Number Pages: 3

1850 US Census, Division 2, Pulaski, Kentucky
Name: Vincent Garner
Age: 29
Estimated birth year: abt 1821
Birth place: Kentucky
Gender: Male
Home in 1850
(City,County,State): Division 2, Pulaski, Kentucky
Wife: Nancy, age 27, born 1823, KY
Son: George W., age 8, born 1842, KY
Mary, age 20, born 1830, KY
Elizabeth E., age 21, born 1829, KY

1870 US Census,
Name: Vincent Garner
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1819
Age in 1870: 51
Birthplace: Kentucky
Home in 1870: Price, Pulaski, Kentucky
Wife: Nancy, age 48, born KY
Son: George, age 26, born KY
Dau: Elizabeth, age 21, born KY
Son: John D., age 18, born KY
Son: James H., age 16, born KY
Dau: Sarah P., age 13, born KY
Son: Leroy W., age 11, born KY
Dau: Elvira, age 8, born KY
Dau: Amanda, age 3, born KY

1880 US Census, District 93, Pulaski Co., Kentucky
Head: Vincent age 61 Farmer Born KY
Name: Vinsent Garner
Age: 61
Estimated birth year: <1819>
Birthplace: Kentucky
Occupation: Farmer
Relationship to head-of-household: Self
Home in 1880: Pulaski, Kentucky
Marital status: Married
Race: White
Gender: Male
Spouse's name: Nancy Garner
Father's birthplace: SC
Mother's birthplace: SC
Wife: Nancy age 57
Son: George W. age 34
Son: Lilvy W. age 20
Dau: Amanda A. age 13.

More About VINCENT JR GARNER:
Burial: Jul 1888, Quaker Cemetery, seven miles west, Independence, Montgomery Co., Kansas

Notes for PERMILLA AMELIA DEBO:
1850 US Census, Union, Johnson Co., Indiana
Head: Ransom age 38 farmer VA
Wife: Rhoda age 36 KY,
Daus: Susan E. age 12,
Mary A. age 10,
Permelia age 8,
Harriet age 6,
Son:James age 4,
Son: Joseph age 1.
1850, Debo, Ransom, Union Township, Roll 155, Page 35

1860 US Census, Union, Johnson, Indiana
Name: Ransom Debo
Age in 1860: 49
Birthplace: Virginia
Home in 1860: Union, Johnson, Indiana
Gender: Male
Head of Household: Ransom Debo
Household Post Office: Franklin
Wife: Rhonda, age 45, KY
Dau: Permelia, age 18, IN
Dau: Harriet, age 15, IN
Son: James H., age 14, IN
Son: Joseph, age 11, IN
Daniel W., age 9, born IN

1870 US Census, Union Twp., Johnson Co., Indiana
Head: Ransom Debo, age 59 Farmer born VA,
Wife: Rhoda age 55 born Kentucky,
Dau: Permelia age 24 born Indiana,
Son: Joseph age 21 born Indiana

1880 US Census, Independence, Montgomery, Kansas
Name: Ransom Debo
Age: 68
Estimated birth year: <1812>
Birthplace: Virginia
Occupation: (...)
Relationship to head-of-household: Self
Home in 1880: Independence, Montgomery, Kansas
Marital status: Married
Race: White
Gender: Male
Spouse's name: Rhoda Debo
Father's birthplace: PA
Mother's birthplace: VA
Wife: Rhonda, age 64, Keeps House
Dau: Pamely, age 35, IN, Asst. in House
Son: Joseph, age 30, IN, Farm Worker
GrandDau: Ettie E. , age 12, IN, Attends School

Permelia's first husband Vincent Garner Jr died in 1898. [stated in the CW Pension file of Jasper Churchill]. She then married Jasper Churchill. The Civil War Pension File of Jasper, states they were married January 26, 1900 at Independence, KS by Judge Ferrell.

Permelia's sister Harriet Alice Debo married James Franklin Henderson. Their son William Thomas Henderson married Nancy Jane Gilkey the daughter of John L. Gilkey SR and the sister of William Elbert Gilkey. William was the Father of Ida May Gilkey who married Charles Churchill, son of Jasper Churchill.

1916 January 13
Crum Realty Company
Real Estate and Insurance
Elgin, Oregon January 13th, 1916
Pension Agent,
Washington, D. C.
Dear Sir:
Jasper M. Churchill, a Private in Co. B. 151 Regiment of Illinois Infantry and who was Honorably discharged January 24th 1866 at Columbus, Georgia, - died on December 15th, 1915 and was under a pension from the U. S. Government.

His Widow Permillia Churchill, believing herself under the laws entitled to a Widow’s Pension, wishes herewith to make such application for a Widows Pension.

Also, I believe that she is entitled to the pension accrued and unpaid to Jasper M. Churchill up to December 15th, the date of his death, to help defray funeral expenses.

Thank you for your attention to the above I await your reply,

Yours very truly,
Jesse Crum

1916 February 3
Mr. Jesse Crum, Elgin, Oregon

Sir:
I have your letter of the 13th instant requesting the necessary blank on which to make application for pension for the widow of Jasper M. Churchill, certificate #958665. In response thereto you are informed that the pensioner’s statement on file in the case dated December 29, 1897 shows that at that time he was a widower. If he leaves a legal widow surviving he must have been married to her since then, and said date being subsequent to June 27, 1890, bars her from receiving pension under the Act of April 19, 1908.

The soldier’s death not being a result of his service, the widow would have no pensionable status under existing laws. The only pension to which she may have title is that which has accrued from November 4, 1915 the date to which payment was last made, to the date of the soldier’s death inclusive, and a blank form on which to present a claim therefore in her behalf is enclosed.

Very respectfully,
G. M. Salhzgaber
Commissioner

1916 October
Widow’s Pension

Claimant, Permelia Churchill, PO Box Elgin, Union Co., Oregon
Soldier: Jasper M. Churchill, Rank Private, Regiment, Co. B, 151, Ill. Infantry

Rate $20 per month, commencing October 28, 1916

Approved for Admission under Act April 19, 1908, Amended by Act September 8, 1916

DECLARATION FOR WIDOW’S PENSION
State of Oregon, County of Union, ss.

On this 10th day of October, 1916, personally appeared before me a Notary Public, within and for the County and State aforesaid, Permilla Churchill who, being duly sworn by me according to law, declares that she is 74 years of age and that she was born Oct. 17, 1842 at Johnson County, Indiana.

That she is the widow of Jasper M. Churchill, who enlisted Feb. 7th, 1865 under the name Jasper M. Churchill as a Private, Co. B, 151 Reg. Of Ill. Infantry and was honorable discharged Jan. 24, 1866, having served ninety days or more during the Civil War.

That otherwise than as herein stated said soldier (or sailor) was not employed in the United States service.

That she was married to said soldier January 25th, 190, under name, of Permilla Amelia Garner, at Independence, Kansas by H. D. Ferrell, Probate Judge; that she had been previously married; that he had been previously married, Jasper M. Churchill was previously married to Emma Stephens who died January 1890. Permilla Churchill was previously married to Vincent Garner who died in the year 1898.

That said solder died Dec. 15, 1915 at Elgin, Oregon .

That she was not divorced from him; and that she has not remarried since his death.

No children except those of age and now all married.

That she has not heretofore applied for pension,

Claimant of Signature in full: Permilla (her X mark) Churchill, Elgin, Oregon

Signature of Witnesses: J. S. Debo and E. W. Hart

Subscribed and sworn to before me tis 10th day of October 1916,
Jesse Crum, Notary Public for Oregon

1917 March 30
DROPPED Finance September 8, 1919
Cert. No. 822951
Permelia Widow of Jasper M. Churchill, Rank Priv., Co. B, Regiment 151 Ill. Inf.
Rare per Month: $20
Commencing October 28, 1916
DEAD

1919 August 12
Sycamore, Kansas
August 12, 1919
Department of the Interior
Bureau of Pensions
Washington, D. C.
Dear Sir:
Mrs. Permelia Churchill died at her home in Sycamore, Kansas, June 9, 1919 of Complication of diseases.
Respectfully,
Cora L. Fowler, P. M.

More About PERMILLA AMELIA DEBO:
Census 1: 1870, Union Township, Johnson Co., Indiana: Father Ransom Debo Age 59 Farmer born VA, Mother Rhoda age 55 born Kentucky, Dau: Permelia age 24 born Indiana, Son: Joseph age 21 born Indiana
Census 2: 1880, Independence Township, Montgomery Co., Kansas: Ransom Debo age 68, wife Rhonda age 64, Dau: Permelia age 35, Son Joseph age 30, widower.

Children of VINCENT GARNER and NANCY MCKENZIE are:
i.GEORGE W.6 GARNER, b. 1842, Pulaski Co., Kentucky.
ii.MARY ANN GARNER, b. 1846, Pulaski Co., Kentucky.
iii.ELIZABETH ELLEN GARNER, b. 10 Mar 1849, Pulaski Co., Kentucky.
iv.JOHN DURBEN GARNER, b. 16 Dec 1851, Pulaski Co., Kentucky.

Notes for JOHN DURBEN GARNER:
1916 July 8
State of Kansas, County of Montgomery Co.

I, J. D. Garner, being first duly sworn, depose and say:

That I reside at Independence, Kansas; am a son of Vincent Garner, former husband of Permilla Garner Churchill of Elgin, Oregon.

That my father Vincent Garner died in Montgomery County, Kansas on or about July 1898, that I was present at the death bed of my father Vincent Garner and know of my own knowledge the above facts to be true;

That I am 60 years of age.

Signature: J. D. Garner [Ed Note: Son of Vincent Garner]

Subscribed and sworn to before me this 8 day of July 1916.
W. L. Hudiling, Notary Publick of Kansas

v.JAMES H. GARNER, b. 10 May 1854, Pulaski Co., Kentucky.
vi.SARAH P. GARNER, b. 07 Dec 1856, Pulaski Co., Kentucky.
vii.S. GILVY GARNER, b. 1860, Pulaski Co., Kentucky.
viii.LEROY WALKER GARNER, b. 11 Jun 1860, Pulaski Co., Kentucky.
ix.NANCY ELVIRA GARNER, b. 1862, Pulaski Co., Kentucky.
x.SUSAN JANE GARNER, b. Abt. 1866, Pulaski Co., Kentucky.
xi.AMANDA A. GARNER, b. 1867, Pulaski Co., Kentucky.
xii.ANDREW J. GARNER, b. 1868, Pulaski Co., Kentucky; d. 1944, Union Co., Oregon; m. LAURA; b. 1877, Pulaski Co., Kentucky.

Notes for ANDREW J. GARNER:
1910 US Census, Elgin, Union Co., Oregon
Name: Andrew J Garner
Age in 1910: 42
Estimated birth year: abt 1868
Birthplace: Kentucky
Home in 1910: N Elgin Pct, Union, Oregon
Neighbors: View Results
Race: White
Gender: Male
Wife: Laura, 34, born KY

1920 US Census, Elgin, Union Co., Oregon
Name: Andrew J Garner
Age: 52 years
Estimated birth year: abt 1868
Birthplace: Kentucky
Race: White
Home in 1920: Elgin, Union, Oregon
Home owned: Own
Sex: Male
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Occupation: Shoemaker, Shoe repairing
Mother's Birth Place: Kentucky
Father's Birth Place: Kentucky
Image: 59
Wife: Laura, age 43, born about 1877, KY

Oregon Death Index
Name: Garner, Andrew J
County: Union
Death Date: 23 May 1944