From: lena yager <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] 1860 John Kirby and HAND?
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 07:12:19 -0800 (PST)

Bernie
Sorry I checked Missouri Census and several John Kirby's but not one that fits your info
Lena

Bernie Moore-Knowles <> wrote:
Hi Lena and Beth

Interesting....................

I know that this John Kirby was married to Susannah W. "Susan" Potter (b1843
in Lawrence Co., MO) and that they had at least a son named Stephen Sidney
Kirby in 1860 and in Missouri.

Susan's remarriage was to my Elisha Andrew Smothers (b1836); who was a
brother to my gggrandmother; Martha Matilda Smothers Sinor.

I guess though, girls that this John Kirby might have been in Missouri in
1860? I really don't know.

There is a daughter named Sarah Elizabeth - what I don't know is if this
Sarah is the daughter of Susan Potter Kirby (through her marriage to this
John Kirby) OR the daughter of Sarah McCully - Elisha Andrew Smothers' first
wife.

Sarah was married to a William J. Hand.

As you can see from the census record below; Sarah Hand says that Elisha
Andrew is her FATHER, not her step-father. Have any of you had any
experiece with seeing the enumeration as a step-father? I can't say that I
have.

Was Elisha Andrew Smothers her father or step-father?

26 & 27 January 1920 Baxter Co., Arkansas census, Union Township:
HAND, Sarah head F W 62 widow AR TN TN
#282/286 Albert W. son M W 28 single AR AL AR
Oliver son M W 18 single AR AL AR
Duard son M W 13 single AR AL AR
Sylva G. niece F W 18 single AR AL AR
HISLIP, Sallie daughter F W 24 married AR AL AR
SMOTHERS, Andrew E. father M W 83 widower TN TN TN

Calico Rock Progress - Jan 25, 1946
Mrs. Hand Dies Here Last Week at Age of 84
Mrs. Sarah Elizabeth Hand, aged 84, died at the home of her daughter,
Mrs. John Northern, in East Calico Rock; Thursday afternoon, January 17.
She was born in Baxter County, where she spent practically all her life.
She came to Calico Rock several months ago to make her home with her
daughter. She united with the Methodist church about 50 years ago and
remained a devout member through the remaining years of her life.
She is survived by three daughters, Mrs. Della Northern of Calico Rock,
Mrs. Minnie Williams of Cord, Ark., and Miss Sallie Hand of Ellis, Ark., and
four sons, Edward of Wichita, Kansas, Elmer of Seattle, Wash., Duard of
Elizabeth, Ark., and Oliver of Calif.
The funeral was held Saturday, services being conducted by Rev. W. T.
Watson. Burial was in the Hall's Chapel cemetery, the McGuire Funeral Home
being in charge of arrangements.

Appreciate any thoughts!

Bernie Moore-Knowles
Papa'aloa, Hawai'i