From: "Bernie Moore-Knowles" <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] Smith and Callaway - Mary C.
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 13:04:13 -1000

Hi there Mary C.

Yes, this is my grandfather's brother; Lewis Smith.

I found descendants of Lewis' through this List, thanks to Fern and Vera.
It was just real exciting; since my family had looked for almost FORTY years
for the Smith family of my grandfather's.

Lewis married Ethel Mae Callaway on December 02, 1918; there in Baxter
County.

I have this from my notes; compliments of Vera:

Forty years ago (1958?): Lewis Smith of Henderson arrived here on his way
home, the first Baxter county boy to get back home from overseas service.
Lewis was wounded in the Battle of Chateau Thierry on July 18, receiving
machine gun wounds in the hip, arms and back. After a few days visit with
friends and relatives here, he will go to a hospital at Des Moines, Iowa,
and stay until he gets completely well.

Battle of Chateau Thierry, France
http://www.shsu.edu/~his_ncp/Thierry.html

LEWIS SMITH
Address: Mountain Home, Arkansas
Entered service: September 18, 1917
Branch of service: Army
Trained at Camp Pike, Arkansas; Alexandria, Louisiana
Overseas: June 12, 1918
Served in France
Engagements: Soissons
Returned to U. S.: October 2, 1918
Discharged: January 12, 1919, Camp Pike, Arkansas
Rank: Private
Served: 18 months
Deceased
Widow: Mrs. Ethel Smith, Mountain Home, Arkansas

Obituary dated Dec 18, 1936:
Louis Smith age 43 World War Vet, died Friday. Burial was in Henderson
Cemetery. Survivors are his wife, 5 children: Burhl, Earl, Evelyn, LaVerne
and Annabel.

Note: The 1936 obituary below lists as a survivor; my grandfather - Sherman
Smith of Walnut Ridge. Within a year or so my grandparents had migrated to
the Tulsa, Oklahoma area - where they both lived out their lives - never
having returned to Arkansas.

LEWIS SMITH
Lewis Smith was born in Baxter county, Arkansas, June 17, 1893. Died
December 11, 1936, at the age of 43 years, 5 months and 24 days. On
December 2, 1918, he was married to Ethel Calloway. To this union was born
five children, Evelyn, Burhl, Earl, Levern and Annabelle, whom all survive
him. Besides his widow and children he is survived by three brothers,
Sherman Smith of Walnut Ridge, Ark., Bill Smith of Baltimore, Md., Joe Smith
of Savannah, Ga., two sisters, Maude Tipton and Dollie Rust of Sand Springs,
Okla., and a host of other relatives and friends. On September 17, 1917 he
united with the Baptist church of Diamond Springs, Ark. He served in the
World War from September 1917 to January 1919. He had bee in ill health for
some time and was confined to his bed September 1. His suffering was great
but he bore it well and was ready to answer the call when it came. He was a
kind father, a loving husband and a friend to all.

A precious one from us has gone.
A voice we love is stilled.
A place is vacant in our home,
That never can be filled.
Written by his family.

Card of Thanks: We want to thank each and every one for your kindness during
the illness and death of our beloved husband and father. We sincerely
appreciate your thoughtfulness and your helping hand you did lend. We also
want to thank you for the flowers contributed and for the flag of the
country. Mrs. Lewis Smith and children.

Note: There are other Callaways that intermarried with Smiths - but
unfortunately and as always; I have never connected them to Lewis Smith's
father; Thomas J. Smith.

Bernie Moore-Knowles
Papa'aloa, Hawai'i