From: "Bernie Moore-Knowles" <>
Subject: Partee, Smith and Denton?
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 16:14:15 -0600

Hi guys

Just wanted to drop a post this morning and ask if anyone has any information on the descendants of a Partee bride and James Denton?

This James Denton was the son of Jane (maiden name unknown) Denton Smith. I do not know the given name of her Denton husband; but believe that Smith husband was Elijah.

In 1850; Jane is a widowed Denton shown with three children; Martha, James and John. By 1860 she is again widowed and a Smith now. In her household is James and John and my ggrandmother; Rebecca Jane Denton Blankinship. Also in the household are a Robert and Samuel. I believe these last two young boys are Smiths - children of Elijah Smith, deceased.

I do not know whatever happened to Robert and Samuel - find neither in the 1870 census as a Denton or a Smith.

Jane's son; John Denton perished in the War.

Her son; James Denton survived and married a Partee and believe that her given name was Mary.

I would be real interested in connecting with researchers of the James Denton and Mary (?) Partee family; in hopes of finding out more about John Denton; brother to James Denton. I recall finding James Denton in an 1870 census and he was listed as a minister.

Or does anyone know where this Elijah Smith came from? It appears from the births of Samuel and Robert and with the assumption that they are Smiths by birth - that Jane Denton married Elijah Smith shortly after the 1850 census. However, I do not find an Elijah Smith in the 1850 Izard Co. census. Could be that he was from a neighboring county?

Jane Denton Smith and Elijah Smith are buried at the Custer-Herron Cemetery. Many of my Smiths are also buried there. Could Elijah Smith be related to my Thomas J. Smith?

Rebecca Jane Denton and James Calvin Blankinship's daughter; Nancy Emma Blankinship married Sherman Lee Smith and Sherman was the son of Thomas J. Smith and Nancy Ann Sinor.

Anyone? Just thought that I would throw it all out?

Bernie Moore-Knowles
Papa'aloa, Hawai'i

"Swaying palms in paradise........"

This thread: