From: "Bernie Moore-Knowles" <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] Denton, Smith, Roebuck, Langston, Franks - Jean
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 15:02:40 -0600

Hi girls and want to thank Jean for posting this information on my
ggrandmother's family. My ggrandmother was Rebecca Jane Denton Blankinship;
for those that don't know. Her daughter; Nancy Emma Blankinship married
Sherman Lee Smith and they were my maternal grandparents.

I have seen in the 1900 census that Polly Langston Denton Franks has given
birth to eight children and seven are living. I believe that is what is
enumerated. All of her children are accounted for except Samuel Jefferson
(Lemuel?) Denton; the son that she had circa 1863. Don't quote me on his
year of birth - but, I know that Rebecca was the first born and Samantha
Matilda followed, I think and "Jeff" was the youngest.

The Denton children were born between the years of 1860 (maybe 1859?) and
1863. Whomever the Denton father was - he perished in the Civil War and
following the War; Polly Langston Denton remarried to the veteran; John
Wesley Franks.

Now, for sometime now I thought that the Jefferson Denton from the 1900
census that you posted was Polly Langston Denton's son - but, Polly says in
1900 that she has had one child die and as I said, all are accounted for -
except her one Denton son. So, this eliminates in my mind that the 1900
Jefferson Denton; with wife; Evia as my Jeff Denton.

I have discussed many times on every List that I can post that I really
believe that Langston researchers are incorrect in saying that Polly's
Denton husband was Jonathan Denton (Son of an Eliza Denton and father
unknown and found in the 1850 Izard Co., Arkansas census. Jonathan Denton
was a War casualty.). I believe that the Denton children were fathered by
John Denton - who is found living with his mother; Jane Smith in 1860.

John Denton also perished in the War.

That Smith household shows two other sons born to Jane Smith and I really
believe that these boys; Samuel and Robert are Smiths - their father being
Elijah Smith; who is already deceased by 1860. Jane Denton Smith was in the
1850 Izard Co. census; listed with Denton sons; James and John and a
daughter named Martha. She is widowed, also - so, at this point I do not
know the name of her deceased Denton husband or the Denton husband for the
widow; Eliza Denton, either.

The little Rebecca; aged one is my ggrandmother in the 1860 Jane Smith
household. Information found in my grandmother's cedar chest has that
Rebecca was born May 11, 1860 - but, this census clearly shows her as a one
year old by the time that the 1860 census was taken. I have seen the image
and unless the census taker left of the 12 of 1/12 and she is really one
month old - which would make more sense per my family records - then, my
family had her birth year off from 1859 to 1860?

And the Roebuck that you listed?

Jean, I honestly don't recall any of my father's Roebuck family being in
that area in 1900 - so, this is a real find! And to see that they are
living next door to Dentons? Now, what could all that mean?

I think that the more that I dig in Mother and L. A.'s families - the more
it appears to be that they are connected somehow. Since L. A.'s immediate
family always seemed to have stay in the Randolph Co., Arkansas
area............ it never occured to me that they might be connected with
Mother's being in Izard, Baxter and Stone Cos. in Arkansas and Indian
Territory.

So, you have given me a great deal to think about and will try to slip in
more comments later tonight. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your
thinking of me and my research.

More later,

Bernie Moore-Knowles
Papa'aloa, Hawai'i