From: "Mary C" <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] Slavery Insurance (off topic)
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 18:50:27 -0500

AMEN
Mary in Texas
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dale Marr" <>
To: <>
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 11:10 AM

> > If slavery has touched your family in any way...
>
> I'm probably going to kick the anthill here, and that is not my intention,
but I cannot bite my tongue any longer. This is in no way directed at you,
Paula, since you were simply posting information. But isn't this just
another way to punish people and companies for things they had absolutely
nothing to do with? What other reason would there be for compiling such
information? The people who founded XYZ Insurance Company may have issued
policies to slave owners for their slaves, but I seriously doubt that any of
those people -- the insurance company owners, the policy holders, or the
slaves -- are still alive today, and I also doubt the people who own those
same companies today nor the living descendants of slave owners who bought
such policies approve of the despicable practice of slavery.

> Like it or not, and let me make this perfectly clear -- I don't, slavery
was legal and widely practiced during the history of this country. None of
us can change that fact. Slaves were considered "property," and people
insure their property. Yes, it was shameful. But when do you stop
apologizing and move on? The same could be said for the American Indian
today, or "Native American" if you prefer, but that's a different subject.
I would guess there's not a subscriber to this list whose ancestors did not
own slaves at one time. Should we all be somehow punished or penalized
today for what our ancestors did? Should we all walk around apologizing ad
nauseum? There are a lot of people in this country today enjoying all the
wealth of opportunity only the United States of America can offer whose
ancestors were slaves. It may sound insensitive, but instead of dwelling on
all the injustices their ancestors may have suffered, it seems to me they'd
be grateful their ancestors!
> got here at all. By all means, acknowledge those injustices and
appreciate your ancestors' sacrifices, whether they had a choice or not, but
once you've done that, accept the past and move on! I doubt any of our
ancestors arrived here on luxury liners.

> I would also imagine that the founders of most businesses from that era
that are still around today (the businesses, not the founders!) also owned
slaves. Are we supposed to research every company we do business with and
boycott those whose founders owned slaves? Good grief, we'd all have to
hunt and grow our own food and make our own clothes. We couldn't buy a gun
to hunt with, and we'd have to cook our food on a stick over an open fire
because we probably couldn't find a gun or stove or frying pan made by a
company that never had anything to do with slavery. We wouldn't be able to
drive anywhere because the routes most of our roads and highways follow
today were in many cases cleared by slave labor. Of course, that's assuming
we could find a car made by a company whose originators didn't own slaves or
an oil company never "touched by slavery" from which we could buy the gas to
fill the tank. One could go on and on with this line of thinking. I can't
see any purpose !
> for this kind of legislation but simply to stir up controversy and hurt
people who have done nothing wrong. In my opinion it's political
correctness and reverse discrimination gone amuck -- yet again.