From: "Terri A." <>
Subject: RE: [ARIZARD-L] Vera (Leatha)
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 09:07:42 -0700

Hi Leatha

Here is some info from a rootsweb site that might help.
It's possible you have already seen it, but wanted to send it anyway.
Something may click. It's about a couple of Moore's that were in
Independence
County.

Terri in CA

Jesse A. Moore, a well-known and respected citizen of Independence
County. is a
native of Jefferson County. Tenn., where he was born Febrnary 7, 1840.
His
father, I. W. R. Moore, was also born in the same county and State in
the year
1808. It was there he met and married Miss Julia Moore, of Hawkins
County.
Tenn., whose parents, Hugh and Sarah Moore. of Virginia, had first
settled in
that place shortly after marriage, and some years later moved to
Jefferson
County. This happy marriage was productive of seven children, three
sons and
four daughters: George L., a resident of New Orleans: Hugh L., who
married Miss
Eliza Dickson, of Hawkins County, Tenn.; Mary, wife of John Coke, of
Tennessee:
Martha R., wife of Matterson Love, a native of North Carolina; Julia
Ann, who
married Lucian Welch, of North Carolina; Sarah, not married-now
residing in
Chattanooga. Tenn., and Jesse A., who, like his father, married a
Moore, the
lady being Miss Elizabeth Moore, of Arkansas. This union gave Mr.
Moore and his
wife three boys and two girls, of whom three children are still
living:
Jeasatnie, Malcolm and Ernest. By industry, economy and good
management Mr.
Moore has accumulated quite a snug competence. He owns about 400 acres
of land,
and has 200 acres under cnltivation, besides possessing ten town lots
in a
valuable portion of Moorefield. He is a member of the Masonic
fraternity, and
has beld the office of Worshipful Master for four years, and was also
elected a
member of the legislature in 1873, but through some political
chicanery Mr.
Moore was not allowed to take his seat in that body that year. In
1885,
however, he was elected and served in the legislature, and also has
charge of
the postoffice at Moorefield. His wife is a regular attendant of the
Methodist
Church, and a devout Christian lady.

page 701 M. M. Moore, grocer at Sulphur Rock, is a son of James F. and
Anna G.
(Dillingham) Moore, both of whom were born in North Carolina, the
former's
birth occurring in Iredell County, and the latter's in the year 1813.
They were
married in Independence County. Ark., whither the father came in 1819,
and the
mother with her parents when a child. They reared their family in this
county
and here the father was engaged in blacksmithing, carriage-making,
farming and
stock raising. In these enterprises he accumulated a large fortune,
and died in
1872, at the age of sixty-five years, and his wife when thirty five
years old.
He was a Whig in polities, and two of the four children born to
himself and
wife are now living. The paternal grandfather, John Moore, was born in
Scotland
and came to the United States, locating in North Carolina, where he
married and
spent his life, dying at the age of one hundred years. M. M. Moore
grew to
manbood in Independence County, but owing to the searcity of schools
in his
youth, he received a limited early education. Brought up to a
knowledge of farm
life, he very naturally chose that as his calling at first, but when
the war
broke out laid down his farm work to enlist in the Confederate army.
He
participated in the battle of Shiloh, where he was wounded, and,
accepting
Lincoln's proclamation, he did not return to service, but came home
and resumed
farm work, continuing until 1875, when, with keen business [p.701]
foresight
and realizing the advantages to be gained in conducting a grocery, he
embarked
in the business at Sulphur Rock. In connection with this he looks
after the
interests of his farm, which comprises 240 acres. He is a member of
the
Methodist Church, and in his political views is a Republican. He was
first
married when twenty-seven years of age to Miss Fannie Rushing, who
died in
1876, having borne the following children: John, who died when six
years of
age; Mary, wife of Everett Murphy; Daniel, Susie, who died at the age
of ten
years; Rosa and Enoch. His second wife was Miss Mary Moore, and their
two
children are named John N. and Fannie. In his younger days Mr. Moore
taught
school for about ten years in Northern Alabama and some in
Independence County,
Ark.