From: "Harold Blevins" <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] Izard Co. jail in 1920?
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:33:41 -0600

> Anyone know where it was or is? Melbourne?

Yep, I remember it well....(wait a minute, that's not what I meant!)

The old jail was located just off the SW corner of the courthouse
square, right behind the old post office. I remember it as a very
small structure, with a barred window that faced the street.

After my mother sold the farm at Sage, she moved into a house on
Lunen Street in Melbourne which was right across from where the old
jail stood. I remember that when I was in school , some of the boys
used to go by and talk to the prisoners thru the bars.

William T. Clem was the county sheriff in 1916-1920, I checked the census
for him, thinking there was an off chance the prisoners might be listed in
connection with the sheriff, but no such luck.

Maybe we can get Betty Mc to publish a couple of pictures of the old jail.
(Perhaps on Junebug's site?). Wonder if the "Historian" ever did an
article on that sort of thing........harold b

This thread: