From: "Peggy Truesdell" <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] Burntschool Cemetery - KING
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 23:03:30 -0500

Vera, our family has numerous unmarked graves in Burnt Schoolhouse Cemetery,
which includes William Rufus KING and wife Sarah "Ellen" COCKRUM.

We know that Margaret "Peggy" {HULSEY} KING and husband James "Buck" KING
are buried there. She was sister to Elizabeth "Betty" {HULSEY} KING and he
was brother to William "Jeems" KING. William and Elizabeth were my
great-grandparents. He is the one who was the Union spy in Alabama, who had
been shot at and jailed. William and two of their sons, James Caleb and
William Rufus (above) and Alfred left Alabama in early 1865 for Nashville
where they joined Union forces. William died of Bright's disease (kidney).
James Caleb and William Rufus returned home after the war ended. Alfred
died in a hospital at or near Nashville. James Caleb remained in Alabama
and did not come to Baxter County with Elizabeth and Catherine -- and their
children.

My mother has two little sisters (PERRY) that she and everyone knew were
buried there. She remembers R. B. "Barney" LANCASTER (husband of Myrtle
FINLEY, first cousin) making their coffins in the back yard of their home
and that my father's sister made their burial dresses. They did not die at
the same time and both were just a few years old. I have pictures of them.
I have their dates of birth and death.

In our family, tradition was that my aunt, Cleora {KING} ROBERTSON, knew
where the graves were, marked by (field) stones. A few years ago markers
appeared for Elizabeth "Betty" {HULSEY} KING (my great-grandmother) and her
daughter Catherine {KING} who married William THARP later in life.
Catherine was sister to my grandfather Robert Polk KING. Catherine was
mother of Charles Oliver KING, Noah Webster KING, and Willa Ann {KING}
PERRY. As I have related before, these children (HURST) are all buried
there. Willa Ann's twin died in infancy and was probably buried in Alabama.
Elizabeth and Catherine's markers were erected by the "Cemetery Committee."

So there is no record of the above unmarked graves and they are not located
elsewhere.

Peggy