From: "Peggy Truesdell" <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] GOAD #1 (Bernie, Vera, et al.)
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 20:27:40 -0500
References: <001501c31687$95633a10$6d2ee542@geneology1> <4.3.2.7.2.20030511174402.00bb36d0@mail.so.centurytel.net> <BAY3-DAV17OAmEaJswF0000003b@hotmail.com> <00b401c31834$8e36ade0$6601a8c0@D388LL11> <BAY3-DAV155vBDxroC600000bb0@hotmail.com> <004501c3187c$8ae17ab0$c9a53e44@HAROLDBLEVINS> <002501c3189a$ccbf5fb0$6601a8c0@D388LL11> <003b01c318ba$d9671120$0b00a8c0@VeraReeves> <00a401c318bc$cdc369c0$6601a8c0@D388LL11> <006e01c318c2$22a88f60$0b00a8c0@VeraReeves> <00f101c318c5$1ef19a80$6601a8c0@D388LL11>

First of all, I had information on Alexander GOAD that I discovered today.

Alexander S. GOAD, b. 1810, White County, Tennessee, d. 1889, buried in
Pleasant Ridge Cemetery, Marion County, Arkansas (per Max Parnell's
inventory, online), married Jane HENDERSON, daughter of William HENDERSON.

About 1863, he married widow WOMACK, whose maiden name was Jane WILMOTH.

" . From a Brief History of Alexander Goad
An Early Settler of Madison County Arkansas
by Douglas Wilson - presented with permission.

I believe that my great-great-grandfather Alexander Goad was the first of
James and Margaret's children born in Tennessee. If one can visualize
conditions that prevailed when Alexander was growing up in White County, we
can safely assume that he received little or no schooling. He probably
hunted, fished, trapped and worked very hard at helping his father and
brothers at farming.

One story handed down through my family and supported by other branches is
that Alexander was a skilled wrestler. That he engaged in the sport for
money is likely. It was thought that his family disapproved of this as not
a very dignified profession and that Alexander traveled around to wrestle at
different places.

I have a picture of Alexander that was taken when he was an old man. From
this evidence and from physical descriptions of his sons on their civil war
records (hereditary evidence), I do not believe that Alexander was a large
man, although he was probably quite strong.

The year 1830 finds 20-year old Alexander and his bride living near or with
his father-in-law William Henderson in Warren County. His sister Mary Goad
Dodson (a young widow) died in November 1830 and it seems that Alexander and
Jane Immediately adopt two-year old Eli Dodson, Jr. Two months later their
first child, Martha, is born and young Alexander is the head of a family of
four. Just one month after his twenty-second birthday, another daughter,
Ibbie, is born.

The talk of new lands opening up in the Arkansas Territory must by now be
the topic of the day in their conversation. Probably a brother or
brother-in-law has already been there and brought back very good reports.
So in 1834 the same restless spirit that caused his father to move from
Virginia into White County now tugged at young Alexander Goad. Things were
likely "not too good" at that time for it seems that most of the Hendersons
and Goads left their homes in Tennessee and came to Arkansas together.

There was probably little difference in the trip from Tennessee to Madison
County and the trip from Virginia to White County some twenty-six years
before. I believe they came overland by wagon. There were likely many
families that made the trip together. The exact route, I know not, but the
trip took several weeks and was close to seven hundred miles.

In 1827 and 1828 a number of families came to present day Madison County. A
family named Jackson (not related) was living in the area as early as 1818.
The United States lands were opened for entry in 1834. This was the event
which enticed the Goads to move to Arkansas. Madison County, of which
Huntsville is the county seat, was established 30 September 1836. ."

(to be continued in new post)

Peggy

This thread: