From: "Peggy Truesdell" <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] SINOR (#1) (Bernie & Don)
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 19:51:30 -0500

Don, this was most interesting to me, too, as Joel SINOR is mentioned in the
narrative of my great-great-grandfather, William Alexander "Uncle Billy"
RIDGWAY (1825, Weakley County, TN - 1917, Shady Grove near Buford, Baxter
County, AR).

" . There was no Primitive Baptist Church in this neighborhood when I first
came here. Salem Church held its meeting six miles northeast of here with
only a few old members. Salem Church was organized in 1843.

Never had any church house, until we built one in this neighborhood. I do
not think there were but eight members. There were two preachers who took
to visiting at a place known as Burton School House -- Elders Rogers and
Crane.

As there was so few, and so scattered, and all old, they hardly ever met and
held conference. So, when these preachers went to visiting, they got to
holding conferences. The church began to revive.

Several united by letter. One was restored that had been with the
missionaries. Two or three by experience and baptism. Among these was my
wife. [1st two wives died and this was Salena JONES, never before married]

She was reared by Methodist parents and had belonged to the church since a
girl, some 30 years. She asked me one day if I would be better satisfied if
she would unite with the Baptist Church. I told her, of course, I would,
but I wanted her to be satisfied.

The next meeting, we went. When an opportunity was offered, she went
forward. She had not told her intentions to me. She was baptized next day
by Elder Joel Sinor, their regular pastor, who has now passed away. He was
over 80 years old at his death. A sound man - a pattern - many friends, and
no enemies, as a citizen.

As I had never got my letter from Sharp County; I had written for a letter
but had not got it. So I thought as my wife had united that I would talk to
the church and if they would receive me, it would be alright -- if not,
alright.

I had not said but a few words when Brother Rogers (one of the preachers
present) spoke. He told the church that he would recommend me as he had
known me ever since I had been in the State. We had at one time belonged to
the same church. So they received me. They still let me stay with them,
though I am not worthy a name in such a sacred institution.

As there were more members in this neighborhood, they agreed to extend an
arm over here.

Brother Sinor was old and feeble. Brother Rogers attended us regularly.

Three united by letter, and during 1889, there were four added by experience
and baptism.

Elder W. J. Casey, of Boone County, visited us and there were three
churches -- one in Marion, one in Boone, and one in Searcy, Counties -- that
did not belong to any association. So Brother Casey requested us to meet at
Enon Church in Marion County on Saturday, before the second Sunday in
September 1889 for the purpose of organizing into an association. [1880C
MCAR - Sugar Loaf Township: William J. Casey, age 30, b. AR, with wife
Caroline, age 37, b. TN, daughter Catherine, age 9, b. AR, and his parents,
Sevier CASEY, age 77, b. KY, and Catherine, age 77, b. KY. Wife Caroline
may have been a BEARD, as sister-in-law, Ellen BEARD, age 24, b. KY, is in
household.]
. "

(will continue in new post)