Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] Question?
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 01:07:42 EST

In a message dated 12/21/2002 11:34:23 PM Central Standard Time,
writes:

> Could someone tell me what the "gateway" is? I'd appreciate knowing.
>
> Barbara

In addition to the mail lists like the Izard list, Rootweb/Ancestry also has
what they call Message Boards. These boards are on various topics like
surnames and counties just like the mail lists are. The difference is that
you do not have to be a member to post a message on the board. And normally,
you do not receive the messages in your mail box. Instead, you have to go to
that board inorder to read the messages. However, a while back they set up a
system of linking the message boards to the mail list of the same name, i.e.
the Izard board is linked to the Izard mail list, etc. And if the "gateway"
is open then all messages posted to the board are automatically sent to the
list. The word "gateway" is really a word used to describe that part of the
computer system that allows the board message to be sent to the mail list.
The "gateway" can be open or closed.
Hope this helps a bit - Emma

This thread: