From: "bernie moore knowles" <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] 1860 census instructions - Opalzone
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 11:04:26 -0700

Hi there

Now, is this List full of the most knowledgable folks or what? I appreciate
this so much.

So........judging from #5, regarding the enumerations of Indians, it appears
to me that this Martha was in all probability born to a mixed race family,
but obviously carried the Indian gene characteristics. Her father; the
Denton may have been the Indian........there are Dentons on the Dawes in
Oklahoma. And as I recall, the origins of these Dawes enrolled Dentons were
Arkansas, but it was not Izard Co. Have to look at that a little closer.

Non-taxed Indians? Slaves? Sounds that way. The Shawnee and the Cherokee
both had slaves.

I tend to think that if she were a full blood that even if her Denton father
had passed away, that hse would have already migrated to Indian Territory
with her widowed mother and brothers by 1860.

When Kathryn Langston returns to the List, I think I need to at least follow
up with Joyce's question of Jane Denton Smith being a Langston by birth.
Certainly interesting. But, the Langstons were not Indian. Right, Jean?

It could be the Denton father? Or Martha was adopted?

Anyway, thanks so much for these instructions. I suppose without seeing an
original copy, that I would have no way of knowing whether the 1 beside baby
Rebecca's names was a 1/12 or 1 year. My bet is that it was supposed to be
a 1/12 and I have just found a new gggrandfather..........other than
Jonathan Denton. But, now whether it is John Denton or James Denton is
another story.

Goodness, but this can get complicated sometimes, can't it?

Thanks again for taking the time to post this valuable information.

Bernie Moore-Knowles
Phoenix, Arizona