From: "Mark P. Line" <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] Wythe Walker ADAMS
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 14:40:02 -0800 (PST)

--- wrote:
> Standard Time,
> writes:
>

> > In continuing the Wythe ADAMS conversation, I went
> looking for Alexander
> > ADAMS in the 1850 census for AR, and found Wythe
> in this home:
> >
> > MACKLIN, Robert W. 52, Louiza 39, Mary 20, Nancy
> 4, VANHOOSE, Z. 26,
> > LOCKHART, A. S. 28, HACKNEY, F. 16, BERNORD, J. W.
> 18, F. 16, RUSSELL, J.
> > T. 14, WILLIAMS, J. S. 13, HOGUE, M. C. 17, RIDGE,
> A. J. 13, LANKSTON, Wm.
> > A. 23, ADAMS, Wythe 16, McCANDLESS, Wm 30,
> VANHOOSE, Elizabeth, 12, HOGUE,
> > Helen 12, SC/KY dwg 38, Prairie Twp., Washington
> County.
> >
> > Was this a school, or an orphanage, or boarding
> house?
>
> Now, Jean, this is interesting! Both of his parents
> had died in about 1840,
> when he would have been about six years of age.

Mary Ann WOLF, mother of Wythe Walker ADAMS, was alive
in Union Twp, Izard Co at the 1850 census. According
to Leona Adams Loviska's family history book, cited in
Tony Rockefeller's file on the WorldConnect site, Mary
Ann WOLF died in 1860. Isn't she buried in Wolf
Cemetery with her husband?

No idea why Wythe wasn't living with his mother in
1850 unless he had a job in Prairie Twp and this was a
boarding house.

> Wonder where he was in
> the 1860 and 1870 census.

According to the 1860 census (North Fork Twp, Izard
Co, pg. 436), Wythe Walker ADAMS was 26yo and living
in the household of his brother, Alexander Hamilton
ADAMS (36yo). The rest of the household consisted of
Alex's wife Mary (34yo) and the children Nancy (7yo),
John (5yo), Robert (2yo) and Ervin (3/12).

According to the 1870 census, Wythe was 35yo, head of
household, living with wife Tabitha (28yo) and the 5
orphaned children of his brother Alexander Hamilton
ADAMS: Annie (18yo), John (16yo), Robert (14yo), Ervin
(12yo) and Elizabeth A. (10yo).

It's possible that Wythe inherited his brother's farm
... neither he nor the orphans would have moved when
Alex died.

Also, it looks like the foster parents were guessing
at the orphans' ages in 1870, since most of their ages
are overestimated by a year or two.

Nancy/Annie is Nancy Ann "Ann" ADAMS.

Elizabeth A. is Mary Elizabeth "Betty" ADAMS (b.
1861).

=====
Mark P. Line (San Antonio, TX) <>