From: Don Ott <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] Don- Major Jacob Wolf -Indian agent ?
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 10:42:11 -0600

Remember that a good portion of Arkansas Territory was set aside
for a Cherokee Reservation in 1817/19. It was a large chunk west of the
White River all the way over to the Arkansas River. That was just across
the River from the Wolf House and I thought that was at least part of the
Indians that Major Wolf was looking after. That area continued to be an
Indian Reservation until 1828.
As the government pushed the Indians out of the east some
voluntarily moved west and some were arriving in the White River Valley as
early as 1811. So, some were here in Arkansas before it was officially made
an Indian Reservation. (As the government sometimes does, they were making
a mess, by moving Cherokees in on other tribes that had been here a long time.)
You can find an 1820 map of this Cherokee Nation West (Arkansas
Territory) at:
<http://www.rootsweb.com/~cherokee/cn-west.html>;
Don