From: "Sandra" <>
Subject: [ARIZARD-L] Bill Blevins- Major Jacob Wolf -Indian agent ?
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 01:38:59 -0600

Bill,
Thanks, that's the information that I had , but thought I needed to check
into the possibility of him being one elsewhere too after hearing the story.
Someone may have gotten their dates mixed up or someone gave them the wrong
information.

The article below that I found must not be quite correct either if you go by
the dates it gives?
Sandra

White River Valley Historical Quarterly

Volume 7, Number 3, Spring 1980

The House that << Wolf>> Built By Maxine Curtis

Overlooking the White River at Norfork, Arkansas, just twelve miles south of
Mountain Home on Highway 5 stands the house that Major Jacob << Wolf>>
built in 1809. Major << Wolf>> was appointed by Thomas Jefferson to be
Indian agent to the Arkansas Cherokee nation. This old two-story yellow pine
log house is considered the oldest house in the Ozarks.

It is a worthwhile place to visit for several reasons. It is the first log
house occupied by a white family in Arkansas and is the oldest two-story log
mansion west of the Mississippi River. It was the first courthouse in the
north half of Arkansas Territory back in 1811 and one of the first six post
offices in Arkansas.

The house was a stagecoach stop in the days of Daniel Boone and offered
hospitality to such early American heroes as Davy Crockett and Sam Houston.
This house was the site of steamboat landings for approximately 50 years,
between the years of 1845 and 1905.

<< Wolf>> House was built by Indian and Negro workmen who used no nails but
dove-tailed the hand-hewn logs into place. It was home for the << Wolf>>
family for over one hundred years. The two- story double dogtrot mansion
served for many years as the business, social, religious and political
center of a vast and sparsely populated mountainous region.

Major Jacob Wolf's brother, John, was a Baptist evangelist and the Major's
family and slaves attended the same religious services. During John Wolf's
circuit riding absences, the Major did the preaching.

The Sabbath Day was strictly observed by the << Wolf>> household. One time
a visiting Cherokee Indian was surprised to find Major << Wolf>> shaving on
the Sabbath. He voiced his astonishment with a gentle rebuke. From that time
on the Major did his shaving the night before so he might teach by practice
as well as precept.

Beginning in 1811 court was held in the upstairs south room of the building
and the old-fashioned camp meeting was held in the yard at the same time.
This provided refreshment and entertainment for the pioneers on their annual
visit to civilization.

Major Jacob << Wolf>> was an early entrepreneur. Besides the Indian Agency,
he operated a trading post, the Inn, and ferries across White River and
Norfork. History was it that he never charged a preacher to cross on the
ferry. This may not sound as if it is any big deal but in one early-day
preacher's report he wrote: "Preached 65 sermons, traveled 779 miles,
received $5.00 from churches, paid $3.25 for ferriage.'

Major Jacob << Wolf>> died in 1863, but the house remained in the << Wolf>>
family

[18] until 1938. At that time the family deeded it to the incorporated town
of Norfork, Arkansas, and to be known as the Jacob << Wolf>> Memorial. For
several years the town maintained a small museum in the house. Now it is
under the administration of a county-wide committee The Baxter County
Bicentennial Committee provided authentic furnishings appropriate to the
time when the << Wolf>> House was built and was really the Jacob << Wolf>>
home.

This old house built by Major Jacob << Wolf>> in 1809, and presumably the
oldest house in the entire Ozarks, and having served many varied purposes,
is located in northcentral Arkansas a few miles south of Mountain Home. It
is open daily, May 1 through September 21, for tours. On the tour through
the home one can see old kitchen ironware, hats dating from Civil War days,
an early parlor, << Wolf>> family photographs, Indian artifacts, and a
spectacular view of White River and Matney Mountain, the north cornerstone
of Major Wolf's Cherokee nation.

White River Valley Historical Quarterly
The Early Settlement of The North Fork Area in the

Volume 9 , Number 1 , Fall 1985

The Early Settlement of The North Fork Area in the Eastern Part of Douglas
County, Missouri Contributed by Ray Lovan

Some of the first settlers on North Fork River in what is now Douglas County
were the Wood family. Henry Wood settled on this part of the North Fork
River in 1840. He lived to be 103, as indicated by his stone in Mt. Ararat
Cemetery, 1795-1898. The Wood family, of English descent first emigrated
from North Carolina in 1839, settling on the Meremac River in what is now
St. Louis County. In the spring of 1840 Henry Wood and a friend, Posey
Freeman explored the North Fork hills in search of land to be homesteaded.
At that time the Shawnee Indians guarded that stream as their hunting
ground. There was an abundance of game-deer, bear, elk, wild turkey and
fish. Returning to the Meremac they loaded their families and household
goods into oxcarts and headed for the North Fork hills. It took 25 days to
make their way back through the wilderness to the settlement where they
established their first camp March 10, 1840. J. H. Wood was born that same
fall and was the first white child born in that area.
Other early settlers in this area were Alabeth (Ball) Freeman who with her
husband Aaron Freeman who were my great, great grandparents. She was a
half-blood Choctaw and they owned an improvement in Mississippi Choctaw
Nation. They left Mississippi and went to North Carolina in 1831. In or
about 1939 they and some relatives came to the Ozarks and located at a large
spring at Topaz on North Fork and put up a grist mill and a distillery.
William Clinton located at a large spring on the West side of North Fork
near the mouth of Indian Creek and close to where H. W. Wood settled below
and on the West side of the same creek.
A. F. Johnson was another early settler. He moved to the North Fork country
after the Civil War and remained there until his death January 1, 1905 and
was buried in the burying ground at Mt. Ararat Church. His children were
Moses, Henry, Isaac Monroe, Levy Jane, Sarah Clementine and Easter
Elizabeth. Moses Johnson, the oldest child, was born November 21, 1859 and
was married May 18, 1893 to Sarah (Cole) Hines, the daughter of Marion Cole
and Sarah Ailieta Palmer.
A. F. Johnson's grandfather was born in England, emigrated to Virginia,
fought with George Washington, then left his home in Virginia and came to
Eastern Tennessee where he raised a large family and accumulated
considerable wealth but lost it in a lawsuit over a Spanish Grant. A. F.
Johnson's wife, Levy, lived until 1877 and died in Douglas County and is
buried in the burying ground at Fairview church.
In the early days of the North Fork settlement, before there were any
sawmills, a young man named Freeman died. His friends cut a large pine tree
and hollowed it out for a coffin, took part of Henry Wood's wagon bed and
made a lid for it and buried him at Mt. Ararat, the first person buried in
that burying ground. He was the son of Aaron Freeman. Aaron died Nov. 3,
1861 and his wife died about three months later and they were buried at Mt.
Ararat where their son James was buried. Alabeth and Aaron had thirteen
children with only twenty two years between the oldest and youngest.
About the year 1840 a large family moved from Western Tennessee moved to
Greene County Missouri and about 1843 a part of them moved into Ozark
County. Their names were Lock Ben and Bill Alsup. They raised quite a lot of
boys. They were shrewd people, friendly but controlled things the way they
wanted. They had many friends which gave them great strength. During the
Civil War they were very active, killed a considerable number of people and
took their wealth to south Missouri and North Arkansas, but the people got
very tired and angry and watched for an opportunity to let them down. All of
them went out in a mysterious way which brought peace in Douglas and Ozark
Counties.
Moses Johnson died at his farm on North Fork Easter Sunday, April 20, 1924,
leaving his wife Sarah Frances and six children, Sarah Elizabeth, Winnie
Mae, Easter Cordelia, Elnora Alabeth, Lenzy Theodore, Alfred Lee and stepson
James Edward Hines.
Isaac Monroe Johnson died in the fall of 1973, leaving his wife Lizzie and
three children, Orval, Charles and Erma, he was found dead in his hay loft.
Easter Elizabeth married a man by the name of Fortune and went to
Washington, raised a family of four children, Ernie, Ruth, Austin and
Frances. She died in her rocking chair.
H. W. Wood died at the home of his son John Henry Wood. He was the first
white child born on North Fork and lived his entire life, 86 years on the
same creek.
Samuel << Morton>> taught the first school in Ozark County and was the
first County and Circuit Clerk elected in that County.
Robert Hicks was a very prominent man. He was elected Sheriff and Collector
of Ozark County. Then he was elected representative at the time Douglas
County was established. The population was so small

[4]

the law would not allow each county to send a representative so he
represented both counties at the same time. He died in Jefferson City while
there attending to his official business. He was badly missed by the people
of Douglas and Ozark counties.

SOURCES:
Article by Leonard Ross in The Willow Springs
News, March 12, 1959
History written by Moses Johnson
Addition by Alfred Johnson
Article appearing in Mountain Grove newspaper 1959

[5]

Copyright Ó White River Valley Historical Quarterly