From: "Bill Blevins" <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] Major Jacob Wolf -Indian agent ?
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 07:23:07 +0000

Bernie,
The story you have found tries to put him here in the early 1800's but he
just didn't come here until around 1818-1820 and then settled below present
day Norfork. Some of the early historians tried to place the present day
Wolf House in Norfork being built shortly after he got here as to their
accounts 1807-1809, but the house has been determined by radio active carbon
dating to have been constructed around 1828-1829. Henry Ward Schoolcraft as
he made his journey down the North Fork in Dec 1818 does not mention the
house as being there, and his journal is quite extensive. After arriving
here Schoolcraft then went up to the head of Swan Creek at Forsyth Mo, and
then returned back down the White River and made quite a survey of the
bluffs, etc. at Norfork, and again does not mention the Wolf House.
WHY????Because it Just wasn't there. Also, Mo. became a state in 1820 and
Arkansas Territory was set up with the southern portion of Missouri
Territory. This dealt a great deal with the resettlement of the Indians,
especially the Osages who lived North of the White River. The Cherokees
were allowed to settle in that region of Arkansas Territory south of the
White River, and the Osage Indians were to move out of Arkansas Territory.

Bill Blevins