From: "Bernie Moore-Knowles" <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] Major Jacob Wolf -Indian agent ?
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 21:40:07 -0700

Sandra

I have this in my file on Major Jacob Wolf........and for the life of me, I
do not list the source. Sorry. Someone on the List may recognize the text
and be able to tell us:

In 1810, after having been appointed Indian Agent for the territory, Major
Jacob Wolf with his young wife, their baby son, and a number of slaves after
a hazardous journey landed at the fork of the Northfork and White Rivers to
take over his duties. Here he built a large two-story house in what was
then Indian Territory, and it stands today in the town of Norfork, having
been restored and made into a museum. Besides being Indian Agent, Major
Wolf laid out a large farm, established a trading post and blacksmith shop
and a ferry.

Major Wolf, the son of Mike Wolf of German descent, was born in South
Carolina, May 12, 1786. While yet a young man he moved to Bowling Green Ky.
and while serving as drill master was given the title of Major.
His father and also his brother, John, a Baptist preacher, settled on the
opposite bank of the river in United States Territory. Major Wolf was
married three times, first on March 9, 1809, to Maldred Meredith who died in
Norfork. They were the parents of William M. Wolf, who married Phoebe
Kellow of Kentucky, and was prominent in business and politics, serving
Izard County several times in the General Assembly. He also was captain of
a White River steamboat.
After Maldred's death Major Wolf married Mrs. Elizabeth (Lantz)Sanders on
January 10, 1824. They were the parents of Tabitha (born June 10, 1832),
who married Judge J.S. Russell of Tennessee in 1854; Malinda J.(born
September 13, 1834), who became the wife of Col. T.Y. Casey; Nancy
Judson(born June 9, 1839); Joseph M. (born April 30, 1841); Marcy C. (born
June 12, 1843), who married Dr. J.M. Casey in 1862; Charles I(born July 1,
1849)

His third wife was Mrs. Cynthia Shipp of Norfork. He was the father of 16
children. Among those who have not been mentioned were Lucinda, who married
Peter Adams; George, who married a Miss McFilitch; and Jesse, who bought the
home after his father's death. Major Wolf ws prominent in early day
government of this section, serving as a member of the Territorial Council
five times. He died in 1863.
During the Civil WAr many younger members of the family served the
Confederacy. Jacob Wolf, son of William M. was in the Fourteenth Arkansas
Infantry and saw service in several hard skirmishes. He later served as
sheriff of Baxter County. He was married to Jennie Patterson, in Waco,
Texas, and they were the parents of six children. Many of the Wolf men were
Masons and were staunch supporters of the Baptist Church.

Michael Wolf, father of Major Jacob Wolf was born in Germany and married
Katy Hedrick there. The year they came to America is not known, but at
least two of their children were born in Germany. Michael Wolf first
serttled in Hopkins County, Ky. --- coming to Arkansas around 1810, settling
on the river near Norfork. Michael and Katy Wolf were the parents of twelve
children; Charles, George, Michael, Jacob, John, Martin, L. Dow, Mary,
Katy, Nancy, Lucinda and Peggy. It would be impossible to evaluate the
effect Michael Wolf's family had on the growth and development of Baxter
County from 1810, through today.

Major Wolf was active in politics all his life and was an outspoken advocate
of the southern cause. The "Arkansas Gazette", April 19, 1850; Col. 6; page
3, reports on a special meeting in lzard County at North Fork by Major Wolf,
Capt. W.M. Wolf (son) chairman, Robert Adams (son of Robert Sr.) secretary.
Subject: "Draft with injustice of Northern positions on matters relating to
the South".

The 1860 census shows Major Wolf at age 74 with Cynthia at age 53.
His wealth is shown as $4000 in real estate, $20,000 in personal property,
making him the wealthiest man within many miles. Major Jacob Wolf dies
January 1, 1863. Due to his death, hardships of the Civil War, depredations
by roving bands of bushwhackers, his widow's estate was demolished. Near
the end of the war, one young calf seems to be all that was worth taking and
the bushwhackers carried that across their saddles as they departed
Cynthia's residence. It being close to the end of the war with some men
available, the bushwhackers were pursued, overtaken up river, and enough of
them were killed to end their depredations in this area.

With the passing of Major Jacob. Wolf, the first century of a
migration beginning in Germany and ending on the banks of the White River
comes to a close.

The final resting place of Major Jacob Wolf has not been identified.
This cemetery, a short distance down river from his home, may be the
location; for, by this time, his grandfather, father, first wife, some
brothers and other relations lie here. Other relations were buried in this
cemetery up to a decade after his death and, after that, his kindred were
widely dispersed.

Cherokee or Shawnee agent, perhaps?

Bernie Moore-Knowles
Phoenix, Arizona