From: "Bernie Moore-Knowles" <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L]Denton and Land Records?
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:00:39 -0700

Vera

You know why I asked?

I came across a Land Record for my Jonathan Denton for Fulton Co. in May
1860 and the only place that I have found him was in the census for that
county, living in the household of a Green family:

1860; Big North Fork Township, Fulton Co., Arkansas census, Page 436 and in
household #19:
GREEN, Robert 27 M Tennefee
Rebecca 24 F Illinois
Joseph 5 M Arkansas
Francis 2 M (")
George 1/12 M (")
STONE, Margaret 24 F Illinois
STONE, Matilda 3 F (")
DENTON, Jonathan 19 M Unknown

1860 DENTON JONATHAN Fulton County AR 467 Big North Fork Township Federal
Population Schedule AR 1860 Federal Census Index AR126188135

Land Records:
Patentee Name: JONATHAN DENTON
Land Office: BATESVILLE
Document Number: 17519
Miscellaneous Document Number:
Signature: Y
Signature Date: 1860/05/01
Description Number: 1
Aliquot Parts: SENW
Section Number: 35
Township Number: 19.0
Township Direction: N
Range Number: 16.0
Range Direction: W
Block Number: 0
Base Line: 05
Total Acres: 40.0000
Fractional Section: N
Subsurface Rights Reserved: N
Metes and Bounds Description: N
Warantee Name:

Just surprised that someone that had been fatherless from a young age and
living as a worker in the Green household.......would essentially have the
means to own property.

He evidently enlisted in July of that year.......1860. Too, his first
child; my ggrandmother, Rebecca Jane Denton Blankinship had been born in
that previous May, same year.......1860. Of course, Rebecca's mother was
enumerated in her Langston family home in 1860.

Now, does that sound like something is fishy in Denmark?

The couple had two more children. How they managed it, I don't know. He
enlisted in 1861 and died in 1864 at the Battle of Atlanta. Never have
found a marriage record and there may not be one. The may have never
married. Lots of preachers in the Denton family, though. If they didn't
marry, I bet some folks weren't too happy.

Lots of questions.......lots of mysteries.

Bernie Moore-Knowles
Phoenix, Arizona