From: "Bernie Moore-Knowles" <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] Mary "Polly" Langston, dau of John (b1820) - Kathryn
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 09:00:57 -0700

<<so that means that Mary Polly would have to be a daughter of one of Ab's
son's and John bn 1820 does have a daughter Mary "Polly" bn in 1841. Guess
I'll have to check with Tess to see what we have for her, I don't have a
marriage for her in my data. >>

Kathryn

This could get complicated, if we went this route. SUPPOSEDLY, and I have
nothing to document this..........this Polly Langston in my gggrandmother.

1850 Izard Co., Arkansas census; Union Township:
LANGSTON, John 30 AR Farmer
#348 Rebecca 29 TN
Polly 9 AR <<<<<<<<<<<<<
Martha 7 AR
Phebe 6 AR
Catharine 4 AR
Nancy J. 2 AR
Elender E. 1 AR

1860 Izard Co., Arkansas census:
LANGSTON, Rebecca 34 f TE
#506-509 Mary 19 f AR <<<<<<<<<<<<
Martha 18 f AR
Phebe 16 f AR
Catharine 14 f AR
Nancy J. 11 f AR
Elender E. 9 f AR
Benjamin 8 m AR

This hypothesis of her being the mother of my Rebecca Jane Denton has always
puzzled me though. I know for a fact that Rebecca Jane Denton was born 11
May 1860. Well, as you can see, Polly is enumerated with her family in the
1860 census (Have no idea what month that this was taken.) AND the father,
Jonthan Denton (an orphan) is emumerated in a Fulton Co. Green household at
the time that the 1860 census was taken there.

1860; Big North Fork Township, Fulton Co., Arkansas census, Page 436 and in
household #19:
GREEN, Robert 27 M TN
Rebecca 24 F IL
Joseph 5 M AR
Francis 2 M AR
George 1/12 M AR
STONE, Margaret 24 F IL
STONE, Matilda 3 F IL
DENTON, Jonathan 19 M Unknown <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Now, how I wish that the enumerator had placed a large star by the unwed
mothers that were recorded! LOL Seriously, it looks to me as though IF
Polly Langston that was the daughter of Rebecca Jane Potts and John Langston
(b1820) was the mother of Rebecca Jane Denton.......then she was probably
unwed at the time of Rebecca's birth in May of 1860.

Too, she had two more children, Lemuel Jefferson (b1863) and Samantha
Matilda (b1861) by Denton and upon his death in the Civil War in 1864, she
afterwards remarried to a John Wesley Franks, another War veteran:

1870 Izard Co., Arkansas Census, Union Township, Page 253: FRANKS, John
25 MS
163/165 Mary 26 AR >>>>Polly Langston Denton
Rebecca Jane 10 AR<<<<<Denton (Blankinship)
Samantha 9 AR <<<<<<<Denton (Jeffery)
Samual J. 7 AR <<<<<<<<<Denton
Martha 4 AR
James T. 1 AR
Cintha 2/12 AR b. March

Note: I have never found Lemeul Jefferson Denton (b1863) following the 1880
Izard Co. census. He was enumerated in the Solomon Rutledge Smith household
at that time. I really think that his name is Lemuel and not Samuel, as
transcribed in the 1870 Franks household.

1880 Izard Co., Arkansas Census, Newburg Township:
FRANKS John M 36 Farmer AL TN MS
67/67 Mary F 39 House AR AR AR
Martha F 13 Dau AR AL AR
James M 11 Son AR AL AR
Catherine F10 Dau AR AL AR
Allice F 8 Dau AR AL AR
Henry M 6 Son AR AL AR
Sarah F 4 Dau AR AL AR
Robert M 2 Dau AR AL AR
DENTON Samantha F 19 Stepdaughter AR AR AR

Note to the 1880 census: Next door to Franks and in household #68/68 is
William and Elisabeth Blankenship, brother to James Calvin Blankinship and
household #69/69 is Louis (Lewis) and Malinda Blankinship; their parents.
My Rebecca Jane Denton married James Calvin Blankinship circa 1875-1876.
Probably closer to 1876.

So, like I said this is just the working file on my own particular line and
nothing really to support that Polly Langston, daughter of John Langston
(b1820) is my ancestor.........but, it sure looks that way.

Long story short: For my sake, let's look somwhere else for Polly Langston
Hively! LOL

I'm terrible, aren't I?

Bernie Moore-Knowles
Phoenix, Arizona