ARIZARD-L Archives

Archiver > ARIZARD > 2001-11 > 1005062457

From: "Bernie Moore-Knowles" <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] Mary "Polly" Langston, dau of John (b1820) - Kathryn
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 09:00:57 -0700
References: <20011106.004323.-585529.12.klangston@juno.com> <3BE7F62C.B8F37E00@centurytel.net>

<<so that means that Mary Polly would have to be a daughter of one of Ab's
son's and John bn 1820 does have a daughter Mary "Polly" bn in 1841. Guess
I'll have to check with Tess to see what we have for her, I don't have a
marriage for her in my data. >>

Kathryn

This could get complicated, if we went this route. SUPPOSEDLY, and I have
nothing to document this..........this Polly Langston in my gggrandmother.

1850 Izard Co., Arkansas census; Union Township:

Benjamin 8 m AR

This hypothesis of her being the mother of my Rebecca Jane Denton has always
puzzled me though. I know for a fact that Rebecca Jane Denton was born 11
May 1860. Well, as you can see, Polly is enumerated with her family in the
1860 census (Have no idea what month that this was taken.) AND the father,
Jonthan Denton (an orphan) is emumerated in a Fulton Co. Green household at
the time that the 1860 census was taken there.

1860; Big North Fork Township, Fulton Co., Arkansas census, Page 436 and in
household #19:
GREEN, Robert 27 M TN
Rebecca 24 F IL
Joseph 5 M AR
Francis 2 M AR
George 1/12 M AR
STONE, Margaret 24 F IL
STONE, Matilda 3 F IL
DENTON, Jonathan 19 M Unknown <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Now, how I wish that the enumerator had placed a large star by the unwed
mothers that were recorded! LOL Seriously, it looks to me as though IF
Polly Langston that was the daughter of Rebecca Jane Potts and John Langston
(b1820) was the mother of Rebecca Jane Denton.......then she was probably
unwed at the time of Rebecca's birth in May of 1860.

Too, she had two more children, Lemuel Jefferson (b1863) and Samantha
Matilda (b1861) by Denton and upon his death in the Civil War in 1864, she
afterwards remarried to a John Wesley Franks, another War veteran:

1870 Izard Co., Arkansas Census, Union Township, Page 253: FRANKS, John
25 MS
163/165 Mary 26 AR >>>>Polly Langston Denton
Rebecca Jane 10 AR<<<<<Denton (Blankinship)
Samantha 9 AR <<<<<<<Denton (Jeffery)
Samual J. 7 AR <<<<<<<<<Denton
Martha 4 AR
James T. 1 AR
Cintha 2/12 AR b. March

Note: I have never found Lemeul Jefferson Denton (b1863) following the 1880
Izard Co. census. He was enumerated in the Solomon Rutledge Smith household
at that time. I really think that his name is Lemuel and not Samuel, as
transcribed in the 1870 Franks household.

1880 Izard Co., Arkansas Census, Newburg Township:
FRANKS John M 36 Farmer AL TN MS
67/67 Mary F 39 House AR AR AR
Martha F 13 Dau AR AL AR
James M 11 Son AR AL AR
Catherine F10 Dau AR AL AR
Allice F 8 Dau AR AL AR
Henry M 6 Son AR AL AR
Sarah F 4 Dau AR AL AR
Robert M 2 Dau AR AL AR
DENTON Samantha F 19 Stepdaughter AR AR AR

Note to the 1880 census: Next door to Franks and in household #68/68 is
William and Elisabeth Blankenship, brother to James Calvin Blankinship and
household #69/69 is Louis (Lewis) and Malinda Blankinship; their parents.
My Rebecca Jane Denton married James Calvin Blankinship circa 1875-1876.
Probably closer to 1876.

So, like I said this is just the working file on my own particular line and
nothing really to support that Polly Langston, daughter of John Langston
(b1820) is my ancestor.........but, it sure looks that way.

Long story short: For my sake, let's look somwhere else for Polly Langston
Hively! LOL

I'm terrible, aren't I?

Bernie Moore-Knowles
Phoenix, Arizona

"I have Indian blood in me. I have just enough White blood for you to
question my honesty." ........Will Rogers
From: "Fern Estes" <>
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2001 7:39 AM
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] 1880 Hively, Thomas Robert -

> Yes, Polly and Margaret "Peggy" were sisters.
> Fern
> Kathryn Y Langston wrote:
> > Notes below.
> > And thanks for posting this. I've been looking for the article
> > that I know I've read in which I have seen where the Woodcock's
> > road on the train to or from Ca. This is similar to what I've seen
> > but seems there was that train story in the one I've read.
> > On Mon, 5 Nov 2001 21:08:52 -0800 "Wilma (Younger) Norton"
> > <> writes:
> > > From: Arkansas Hively Family Anecdotes, Vol. 8, No. 1, (Issue 22),
> > > Jan.
> > > 1997: pg. 1222
> > > Rev. Thomas Robert Hively - His Civil War Adventures and Other
> > > Stories, as
> > > told by his granddaughter Everne Hunter and as compiled by Barbar
> > > Allen of
> > > Batesville, Ark, a Langston family historian.
> > > Editor's comments: Rev. Thomas Robert Hively married as his second
> > > wife,
> > > Polly Langston Woodcock. Her first husband was Modena Francis
> > > (Frank)
> > > Woodcock. Frank and Polly left Arkansas and went to Calif. in 1874.
> > > They
> > > lived near Visalia, Calif for seven years. Then Frank died of Civil
> > > War
> > > related complications.
> > >
> > > Polly stayed in Calif. for a year after her husband died
> > Interesting. 1874 plus 7 tallies up to 1881, the 1880 census
> > indicates Polly was already a widow.
> > >and then she
> > > returned with their seven children to Pineville, Izard Co. Three
> > > years
> > > later she married Rev. Hively. They had three children: Martha
> > > (Everne Hunter's mother), Janie, and Thomas. Rev. Hively's
> > >second wife was a niece of his first wife, Sarah "Jane" Langston.
> > >end quote
> > I can't agree with the second wife being the niece. We know
> > from Sam's,that Jane was a daughter of Absolom Sr's, so that
> > means that Mary Polly would have to be a daughter of one of
> > Ab's son's and John bn 1820 does have a daughter Mary "Polly" bn
> > in 1841. Guess I'll have to check with Tess to see what we
> > have for her, I don't have a marriage for her in my data. However,
> > the census Bernie just found indicates she was born in 1843
> > but then again, 2 yr decrepancies aren't unheard of. I don't
> > have notes as to all the reasons we think John and Maldred,
> > other than the information from Herron in the newsletter that
> > gives Mary Polly being a sister of his grandmother Margaret
> > "Peggy". Fern, could you ask your dad if he knows whether
> > Polly and Peggy were sisters for sure?
> > > From another issue (Vol. 8, No. 2, (Issue 23), May 1997: a
> > > typewritten
> > > transcription of pages from the Daniel and Thomas Robert Hively
> > > Bible.
> > > Thomas R. Hively was born on the 21st of August in the year of our
> > > Lord
> > > 1836.
> > > Jane Hively was borned the 16th of November 1844.
> > That's a 10 yr descrepancy from the census records. Its closer
> > to the year Polly was born than Jane.
> > > Thomas Hively and Poley Woodcock was married March the 18th 1883
> > > (originally
> > > 1884, but 4 crossed out).
> > 1874 + 7 years is 1881, add 3 years would make a 1884 date, makes
> > one wonder, who did the crossing out. Or whether the story was told
> > right about the 1874 plus 7 add 3?????????????????????????????
> > My brain is fried, its nearly 1 here I'm going to bed. I leave it to
> > any of you night owls that are still up.
> > Kathryn
> > > > Fa: AR Mo: SC
> > > > John B. F. HIVELY Son M S W 7 AR
> > > > Fa: AR Mo: SC
> > > > Nancy J. HIVELY Dau F S W 5 AR
> > > > Fa: AR Mo: SC
> > > >
> > > > Wonder who raised his children from Polly Langston?
> > > > Bernie Moore-Knowles
> > > > Phoenix, Arizona
> > > > "I have Indian blood in me. I have just enough White blood for you
> > > to
> > > > question my honesty." ........Will Rogers
> > > > ----- Original Message -----
> > > > From: "Kathryn Y Langston" <>
> > > > To: <>
> > > > Sent: Monday, November 05, 2001 5:11 PM
> > > > Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] Langston and Hively
> > > > > I believe the author was Herron Whitfield, Fern's father. And
> > > that
> > > > > was the info he had to go with at the time of the writing. At
> > > least
> > > > > at one time he conceded to me that he couldn't prove it.
> > > > >
> > > > > But we can.
> > > > >
> > > > > Jane was the daughter of Absolom and Dorcas Young Langston.
> > > > > Bn ca 1835. She is listed in the 1850 census with Ab and Dorcas
> > > > > as 15 years old. In 1860 Thomas and Jane are together with
> > > > > daughter Margaret age 2, Jane is listed as 26. In 1870 she is
> > > > > listed as 34. I can't find them in Izard in 1880, maybe my
> > > > > bi-focals aren't working.. Could you look and see if you can
> > > > > find them in 1880 on them thar new fancy 1880 cd's. Also,
> > > > > the Woodcock family? I don't find them in 1870 either. I see
> > > > > I dropped the ball on both families.
> > > > >
> > > > > Mary L. "Polly" Langston was the daughter of John and Mildred
> > > > > Livingston Langston, this John was son of Nathan J. and Patty
> > > > > Weir Langston Sr. Polly was bn 1844/5 she's with Maldred in
> > > > > 1850 (John's deceased, we assume) sisters Phebe, & Peggy
> > > > > Early info, I believe its in a early SBL newsletter, it showed
> > > > > that Jane was also a sister to these girls. Research didn't
> > > > > prove that. Also, remember we have our friend J J Sams to
> > > > > thank for info on Ab's family in which he said that Jane was
> > > > > married to Thomas R. Hively, no Polly was mentioned in this
> > > > > family by Sams.
> > > > >
> > > > > Oh, yes, and I have a letter that was sent to me that was from
> > > > > Samuel Langston of Iuka in 1897 to his Aunt Lucinda Langston
> > > > > Miller (who Sams also verifys was a daughter of Ab and Dorcas
> > > > > and married "a Miller". Anyway, Samuel tells his Aunt that Aunt
> > > > > Jane died and also says something about Thomas R Hively and
> > > > > I'm having a senior moment, will have to hunt up that letter to
> > > give
> > > > > you a direct quote.
> > > > >
> > > > > Thats the best I can do for the moment, do I need to dig deeper
> > > > > to unconfuse you??? (be nice, remember I'm older than you are
> > > > > and you should be nice to old women) :)
> > > > >
> > > > > Kathryn
> > > > > On Mon, 5 Nov 2001 09:28:31 -0700 "Bernie Moore-Knowles"
> > > > > <> writes:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Hi all
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Now, I know that there are researchers of these two families
> > > on this
> > > > > > List, probably some new folks, too.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > According to the IZARD COUNTY HISTORIAN, dated JULY 1977:
> > > > > > "Thomas R. HIVELY b. 24 Aug. 1836- d. 16 Nov. 1917. He married
> > > Sarah
> > > > > > Jane "Jennie" Langston. Their children were: Margaret, Jacob,
> > > > > > Amanda,
> > > > > > Alexander, Lucinda, Charles F., Nancy and Jane.
> > > > > > When his wife, Jennie, died Thomas married her sister Polly
> > > Langston
> > > > > > Woodcock, who was the widow of Maderra Francis Woodcock. The
> > > > > > children of Thomas and Polly were: Janie, who married Rufus
> > > Russell;
> > > > > > Martha, who married ? Hunter; Thos. F., who married Nora
> > > Russell and
> > > > > > later, Elsie Snellgrave-Drennan."
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I do not know who the author of this Historian biography is,
> > > but
> > > > > > that's not the question for me, really.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > As usual, I may be confused here, but I do not show Jane
> > > Langston
> > > > > > and Polly Langston as siblings.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Are they indeed?
> > > > > >
> > > > > > ==== ARIZARD Mailing List ====
> > > > > > For the threaded Archives for go to:
> > > > > > http://archiver.rootsweb.com/ARIZARD-L/
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > ________________________________________________________________
> > > > > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
> > > > > Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less!
> > > > > Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit:
> > > > > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
> > > > >
> > > ==== ARIZARD Mailing List ====
> > > Updated Message Boards Rootsweb/Ancestry.com:
> > >
> > oard&r=an&p=localities.northam.usa.states.arkansas.counties.izard
> > >
> > ________________________________________________________________
> > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
> > Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less!
> > Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: